PDA

View Full Version : steve morgan

Costin_wolf
01-02-2012, 21:03
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/01/steve-morgan-wolves if true would really show he does care about this club.

Jungleee
01-02-2012, 21:07
Why did he not do the same against Villa? We were far more likely to beat Villa than we were to beat Liverpool. Hmm.

Stratford Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:08
It's an investment - it's a business that i fear is what he really cares about ..........

Scott.Cooper
01-02-2012, 21:08
He has put millions of his own money into the club, I'm not sure why or how anyone can say he doesn't care.

OK, he might do the odd thing wrong, he may make mistakes (he is new to football ownership) but I have no doubt that everything he does is with the best interests of the club in mind.

I doubt we would be in the Premiership without him, so going down would hurt him just as much, if not more, than any of us.

greco wolf
01-02-2012, 21:09
Isn't this all on other thread about Steve Morgan and the players

Bull Army
01-02-2012, 21:10
Good. About time everyone got a $$$$$$$ing. It's all been too cozy for too long, complacency and laziness sets in. Let's just hope it's not too late.

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 21:17
Fair play to Morgan. Looking at the pictures of him looking rather angry in the stands I don't think anyone can accuse him of being not in love with the club.

Jungleee
01-02-2012, 21:18
Fair play to Morgan. Looking at the pictures of him looking rather angry in the stands I don't think anyone can accuse him of being not in love with the business.

Corrected that for you.

Fans love the club.
Chairmen love the business.

Scott.Cooper
01-02-2012, 21:20
Corrected that for you.

Fans love the club.

Investors buy a business to make money. How much money does the average Football Chairman make?

Costin_wolf
01-02-2012, 21:20
and so it should be treated like a business for him if he loved the club too much that is how you end up spending past what you can.

Jungleee
01-02-2012, 21:21
and so it should be treated like a business for him if he loved the club too much that is how you end up spending past what you can.

Fully agree. I'm just saying people shouldn't assume that chairmen love the club in the same way the average fan does.

QB Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:24
Good god it's professional football of course it's a business. If you don't like it go and watch the dog and duck!!

WonderWolf
01-02-2012, 21:28
I will say that in my view Morgan is a football loving and caring person.

He is very rich, does he need more money?...it takes a chairman that truly cares to go into the dressing room and let rip...it wasn't for the money.

luckyjim
01-02-2012, 21:32
Yes Wolves should be self-sustaining but it shouldn't be run as a pure business like tesco.

ice cream head
01-02-2012, 21:35
I also think that the reaction of the fans worried Morgan. It wasn't a particularly angry atmosphere, it was more apathetic to what was going on on the pitch. Angry people obviously care about the team but when your own fans start to take the $$$$ with jeering and telling the goalie to shoot, this could mean they no longer care enough to bother with the early bird or even Wolves in general.

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 21:36
Corrected that for you.

Fans love the club.

You're not wrong

Mark Rankines Lovechild
01-02-2012, 21:38
Fair play to Morgan. Looking at the pictures of him looking rather angry in the stands I don't think anyone can accuse him of being not in love with the club.

For the record I think the criticism of Morgan is out of order. Substantial funds have been given and generally $$$$ed up the wall, However, I am not sure that any manager in his building group would have been afforded the same level of support if he was performing as badly.

That said, Morgan getting angry doesn't necessarily reflect that he cares. I have a boss who can dish it out but is unable to take any criticism whatsoever and ends up lashing out like a child in any direction.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 21:38
If it's a business and not an expensive hobby, then it makes no sense for Morgan to continue with his support of Mad Mick.

The sensible business decision would be to get rid of his failing manager and try and find someone with a chance of improving the situation.

However it's not a true business and Moxey seems to have a say in what happens, so who knows?

ice cream head
01-02-2012, 21:42
I'll just add, he's obviously a fairly big man in Liverpool among the 'elite' and i'm sure the $$$$ taking made him uncomfortable considering his ex teams directors would've heard the clubs own fans treating his team with contempt. His ego probably took a huge hit last night.

Jungleee
01-02-2012, 21:48
I'll just add, he's obviously a fairly big man in Liverpool among the 'elite' and i'm sure the $$$$ taking made him uncomfortable considering his ex teams directors would've heard the clubs own fans treating his team with contempt. His ego probably took a huge hit last night.

Agree, hence why I said why didn't this happen after Villa.

A wanderer from Bristol
01-02-2012, 21:48
Why did he not do the same against Villa? We were far more likely to beat Villa than we were to beat Liverpool. Hmm.

Because we played some of our best football of the season against Villa, but we were embarrassing against Liverpool

Jungleee
01-02-2012, 21:50
Because we played some of our best football of the season against Villa, but we were embarrassing against Liverpool

2-1 up and we $$$$ed it up. I was annoyed, weren't you? Wasn't Morgan?

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 21:51

Your argument does add up tbf

Jungleee
01-02-2012, 21:52
Your argument does add up tbf

Cheers for the moral support Stefan x

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 21:56
I wonder what McCarthy thought of this? It must have been hugely embarrassing for him!

wolf97
01-02-2012, 21:57
He should fine some of them as well.

Sheriff Woody
01-02-2012, 22:03
The difference between last night and Villa was the fact that Morgan's pride got dented. The one team he probably wants to beat is the club that turned him down and he had to watch as we got our ass handed to us. Guess what Steve, that's how most of us feel week in week out when we get beat.

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 22:04
The difference between last night and Villa was the fact that Morgan's pride got dented. The one team he probably wants to beat is the club that turned him down and he had to watch as we got our ass handed to us. Guess what Steve, that's how most of us feel week in week out when we get beat.

I agree.

bod101
01-02-2012, 22:14
his anger was aimed at the wrong people and this statement worries me most of all -

"Changing the manager isn't going to change what the players do on the pitch"

Well actually i would say that is the main thing that changes what players do on a pitch collectively. Half the problem is the fact the players have to follow what mick says to the letter. I used to think it was the players but far too many of them make mistakes, don't move into space and show poor technique, despite many showing they have the ability when they first joined. Again this only comes down to one person.

A wanderer from Bristol
01-02-2012, 22:15

I was annoyed about the Villa game but more than that I was really hurt. To play so well and screw it up was cruel. There was the ecstasy around Kites goal and a rampant first half, and then the tragedy of the second half with Frimpong's injury and Henry's $$$$ up. We looked like a side that didn't know how to win anymore.

Last night I went from disbelief to numbness to resignation that we will be playing in the Championship next year. The players looked terrified and mentally shot. We were shocking and looked scared of what should have been a tired Liverpool team from start to finish. We served up three points with a side salad.

Villa was heartbreaking, last night was unacceptable, that was the difference for me.

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 22:15
his anger was aimed at the wrong people and this statement worries me most of all -

Well actually i would say that is the main thing that changes what players do on a pitch collectively. Half the problem is the fact the players have to follow what mick says to the letter. I used to think it was the players but far too many of them make mistakes, don't move into space and show poor technique, despite many showing they have the ability when they first joined. Again this only comes down to one person.

I fully agree. I often wonder what they do in training as the standard of football that we play is atrocious. We cant even get the basics right!

derbyrameater
01-02-2012, 22:17
.."Although Morgan occasionally goes into the home dressing room before a game to deliver what may be described as a motivational speech,"..

I would be interested to know what games he has done this?

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 22:20

this

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 22:23
.."Although Morgan occasionally goes into the home dressing room before a game to deliver what may be described as a motivational speech,"..

I would be interested to know what games he has done this?

Yeah that was the oh-no! moment in that interview for me...

oldgold4ever
01-02-2012, 22:25
Wow, I wish I could sleep as well as Steve Morgan. He's been asleep since Swansea at home on 22nd of October….… it's no wonder he woke up in a bad mood if after sleeping that long

Oldgold Wolfcub
01-02-2012, 22:41
Maybe the players should be angry with Morgan. Morgan is blindly backing McCarthy and the players as much as they would like to see Mick succeed know its not working. They and we deserve better management and better coaching. They and the fans are being let down. Morgan is having a go at the wrong targets. The players need support as they are a defeated team heading for relegation in the making.

Stokie in Stafford
02-02-2012, 07:23
How $$$$ed off as a player would you be if a bloke that thought more about improving things off the pitch than on then rips you a new one for playing badly?
You have the same problem as us as in some of your players are just not Prem standard. Their shortfalls bring the rest of the team down with mistakes or just being outclassed. As a player they are not going to be happy being ripped by a bloke that has never played the game and has watched them go backwards due to lack of investment on the pitch. You players heads may be further down and players like ping pong may be wondering what the hell they have walked into.

Gamblingwolf
02-02-2012, 07:35
I,maybe wrongly,believe Morgan does care and his long term plan of gradual improvement in the team and the building of a new stadium were both the right ideas and got off to reasonable starts. According to a club reply to an e-mail I sent last season expressing concern at keeping MM as manager he believes in long term stability and that MM was the right man for the job. I think he has backed the manager sufficiently for us to have improved into a team at least capable of being a few places out of the relegation area and just requiring slight continual improvement each season to keep moving forward but we seem to be no better than than we were promoted,although i do think we should have looked at somehow paying the wages of 2 or 3 real quality players maybe by getting those that were on free transfers to offset this but I do wonder if he has been hoodwinked by MM somehow convincing him he could and would improve things and managed to find excuses whenever it goes wrong. I think that unfortunately has been his only real mistake but is ultimately the worst he could have made and as is looking likely has completely sunk,or at least stalled,the whole plan of moving us forward and it will be very interesting to see what his next move is.

Chiswick_Wolf
02-02-2012, 07:42
How $$$$ed off as an owner would you be if a team that were all being paid at least £10k per week on average were serving up such dross on the pitch?

An alternative view point.

Hebburn Wolves
02-02-2012, 07:51
If i was SM i would be $$$$ed off with the players after paying them x amount per week and investing millions into the club. I guess i would of also ripped strrips of MM too.
After the clubs hype of pushing for mid table this season where Wolves are at the moment is totally unaccpetable to SM and i completely understand.

I do think the club under estimated in pre season where the club needed strenghening in just bringing in the 3 players, reminds me of Sir Jack when wolves got promoted under DJ and he thought because Wolves beat Newcastle in the cup in our promotion year that the team only need tweaking.

The premiership theres a thin line between success and failure as Wolves are finding out at the moment.

OCD Wolf
02-02-2012, 08:37

I would have thought that a manager's thought's ideas and training would do exactly that. This statement is total idiocy.

So Rog, what on Earth is going to change what the players do on the pitch?

Oldgoldwulf
02-02-2012, 09:18

Obviously Roger hasn't been following the fortunes of Sunderland over the past couple of months... :rolleyes:

Wandsworth Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:35
[QUOTE=OCD Wolf;1280878]"Changing the manager isn't going to change what the players do on the pitch"

Does that imply that they just ignore Mick's instructions? Not surprised we're such a shambles.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:37
I was annoyed about the Villa game but more than that I was really hurt. To play so well and screw it up was cruel. There was the ecstasy around Kites goal and a rampant first half, and then the tragedy of the second half with Frimpong's injury and Henry's $$$$ up. We looked like a side that didn't know how to win anymore.

Last night I went from disbelief to numbness to resignation that we will be playing in the Championship next year. The players looked terrified and mentally shot. We were shocking and looked scared of what should have been a tired Liverpool team from start to finish. We served up three points with a side salad.

Villa was heartbreaking, last night was unacceptable, that was the difference for me.

This sums it for me too, I left the Villa game and for the first time actually thought we might not survive

Half way through the second half of the Liverpool I was numb with the way we were playing and thought that we had given up. It was unacceptable.

We still have a chance but we really need to start putting points on the table

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:49
I put this on another thread but equally goes here too

Morgan deserves credit but he also deserves some of the flack that he got last night.

Morgan and Moxey set the strategy. They set the transfer fee allocation and they set the wage limits.

After last season, Morgan quoted we would not be here again. Meaning he wanted to make sure Wolves were safe from relegation.

I think that Morgan, Moxey and McCarthy thought that Swansea, Norwich and one from Blackburn and Wigan would go down this season and that we needed minimal strengthening. Well we all knew in the summer transfer window that just adding Rodge the Bodge was not enough. That strategy is the big mistake. So yes Morgan has to shoulder some of the blame

Secondly we had our January transfer sorted out long before January and we added Eggert and Frimpong on 1st January and that was it. After announcing the delays to the Steve Bull, Morgan under fire added extra funds (£4.5M). Second mistake that was never enough to get the sort of players (more than one) that was needed.

We tried to get Micks targets but we did not have sufficient in the pot and our wage limits preclude too many who could do a job. After much puffing and panting we get another loanee in Bassong.

Yes Morgan has to take some of the blame

1. Poor transfer window in the summmer - under funded
2. Poor strategy funds and wage limits
3. PR on Steve Bull
4. January transfer window although the two loan players will add some needed spark

Last night he got sight of the fans anger with some of the South Bank chanting about the houses and by other accounts fans in the Billy Wright giving abuse. If we dont get anything out of the QPR game and things go bad against Baggies then he will be in for a whole shedload of more.....

Inky
02-02-2012, 09:57
[QUOTE=bod101;1280695]his anger was aimed at the wrong people and this statement worries me most of all -

QUOTE]
That quote actually came from Johnson, not Morgan.

big-blue-wolf
02-02-2012, 10:11
How $$$$ed off as a player would you be if a bloke that thought more about improving things off the pitch than on then rips you a new one for playing badly?

Morgan is their boss and pays their wages. He can rip them to shreds if he wants.

He also has more than just the footballing side to think of and that may well be the problem at the moment. It seems like his attention has been elsewhere this season until now.