PDA

View Full Version : This is what quality gives you.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:33
Just eleven minutes into his QPR debut and away from home Cisse scores a belter.

So after a poor season until recently QPR sack their manager and bring in another and back him.

Now I'm not saying QPR will avoid the drop but by hell they're looking a damn site more likely to than Wolves.

Quality always has and always will give a team a chance.

Jamesjh89
01-02-2012, 20:39
So does a mega bucks owner who spends silly money

North West Wanderer
01-02-2012, 20:43
Nothing to do with changing of manager everything to do with a
Super Rich owner

UEAwolf
01-02-2012, 20:43
Exactly - where do you suppose we get the money from to pay Zamora and Cisse a combined total of nigh on 200k a week?

Hoganstolemywife
01-02-2012, 20:47
This is why I love Wolves fans.

It genuinely gladdens me that we all hate so QPR so very, very much. I hope any more of their fans who happen to stumble onto the Mix get an identical response to their smug little bar stool last night.

Tinpot club who are throwing silly money around. They'll survive in the Premier League for sure, but I can't say the same for the club ethos. That's gone out the window just as quickly as the entire squad that saw them to promotion.

Cheating. In my opinion.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:51
I'm just making the point that quality tells.

Absolutely no point Wolves keep shopping in the bargain basement.

Instead of spending several million on several players why not spend the same money but on fewer players that offer quality?

There are too many players that make up the Wolves first team squad that have offered very little if anything during Wolves time in the PL.

I always have and always will argue quality will give you a much better chnce of survival than quantity and already I'd say Cisse has proven the point.

How is it cheating Hogan? They have an owner who realised what was needed and took the steps he felt were necessary.

How many millions has the new North bank cost and for what?

Supporters will happily watch a good team and worry about he facilities as a secondary issue. Morgan has put a fancy stand top of his list of priorities and it has backfired.

Jonzy54
01-02-2012, 20:52
Nothing to do with changing of manager everything to do with a
Super Rich owner

Yes it has .Warnock would never have attracted these players.Hughes' agent is that Kia guy who also just happens to be the agent of most of the players he has brought in,so yes it does help.

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:54

It genuinely gladdens me that we all hate so QPR so very, very much. I hope any more of their fans who happen to stumble onto the Mix get an identical response to their smug little bar stool last night.

Tinpot club who are throwing silly money around. They'll survive in the Premier League for sure, but I can't say the same for the club ethos. That's gone out the window just as quickly as the entire squad that saw them to promotion.

Cheating. In my opinion.

I would laugh my $$$$$$$$ off if they got relegated
Let's all start praying :D

Hoganstolemywife
01-02-2012, 20:55

Instead of spending several million on several players why not spend the same money but on fewer players that offer quality?

There are too many players that make up the Wolves first team squad that have offered very little if anything during Wolves time in the PL.

I always have and always will argue quality will give you a much better chnce of survival than quantity and already I'd say Cisse has proven the point.

I don't see your point?

Of course better players will give you a better chance of survival.

Just like if I give you 90 and tell you to go and buy me a shirt, you'll probably buy me a better shirt than somebody I only give 20 to.

It's when an economic situation like that begins to masquerade as a competitive sport that the problems begin.

AW

Cheating. In my opinion.

I agree.

Apocalypse Now
The anti-Johnson brigade could point to the fact he was great in our first three games.

Cisse is not quality. He apologised to Lazio fans before he left for not doing the business and I can't remember him pulling up any trees at The Scousers. Would you rather him or Fletcher? I would pick Fletch everytime.

I agree we should have bought quality, I don't agree Cisse is.

Wonder Boyo
01-02-2012, 20:57
Watching the QPR game at the moment - Villa are absolutely murdering them at the moment and just had a stonewall penalty turned down. The good news is that QPR's defence looks awful.

bridgnorthwolf
01-02-2012, 20:58
We should have splashed 6.5m on Scott Dann, he could have been scoring own goals here instead.

Hollywood_wolf
01-02-2012, 21:02

How is it cheating Hogan? They have an owner who realised what was needed and took the steps he felt were necessary.

Supporters will happily watch a good team and worry about he facilities as a secondary issue. Morgan has put a fancy stand top of his list of priorities and it has backfired.

I don't think anyone will argue with your point about quality, but 3 of their players are earning a total of 12.5m a year alone.

Completely unsustainable, I could bang on about a level playing feild,etc.

We have to live within our means and not threaten the future of our club.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:02
I don't see your point?

Of course better players will give you a better chance of survival.

Just like if I give you 90 and tell you to go and buy me a shirt, you'll probably buy me a better shirt than somebody I only give 20 to.

It's when an economic situation like that begins to masquerade as a competitive sport that the problems begin.

Ignoring the loan signings Mick has made the only full on signing is Jonsson. From what I have seen of him to date he is light years away from being anywhere near good enough for the PL and most definately not a player to be thrown in at the deep end in Wolves current predicament.

Now he may well, in time, turn out a good signing but again in Wolves predicament they do not have the luxury of time.

QPR were until recently below Wolves. Their owner saw the problems ahead and took positive action and having done so has backed the manager.

Hughes has made quality additions and Cisse on his debut scores.

Morgan if he has seen the problems has ignored them and continued to adopt the cheap and cheerful policy which may have seen Wolves scrape though the last two seasons but looks unlikely to this.

Point is Hogan that if Morgan wants Wolves to survive it will cost, relegation could cost more?

Hoganstolemywife
01-02-2012, 21:05
I'm sorry, there's just no way we can compete with 80k per week wages.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:07
I do accept everyones point about acting within a budget but as I keep saying quality not quantity.

Right here and now what was the point of the Jonsson signing? His signing on fee and wages are just a waste and would have been far better put towards what was truly needed.

AN, Cisse may not have done it at Lazio but are you really doubting his ability at the PL level?

And I agree re the comments and Fletcher but he needs quality around him and lacks it. Add more quality and the better players Wolves do have could start to produce and offer what they are by and large struggling to so far.

Ashley
01-02-2012, 21:08
Just eleven minutes into his QPR debut and away from home Cisse scores a belter.

So after a poor season until recently QPR sack their manager and bring in another and back him.

Now I'm not saying QPR will avoid the drop but by hell they're looking a damn site more likely to than Wolves.

Quality also costs money Essex. 13 million spent on transfers and thu have now added 160k a week to their running costs! No ta! They'll be back in championship within a few years and going same way as Portsmouth.

WonderWolf
01-02-2012, 21:08
Fans just do not understand where the problem lies.....

The issue here is entirely about the PL 'environment'......

Bring back the 'sporting' one.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:09
I'm sorry, there's just no way we can compete with 80k per week wages.

Now or ever?

If Morgan wants Wolves to progress then at some stage he has to accept that quality players will demand big money. If his intention is to always act on the cheap then Wolves will do well to stand still as regards being a PL side.

I'm not advocating Wolves have to go down the same road as clubs like Man City and their like but Wolves canot keep acting on the cheap if they want to progress.

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 21:12
QPR were until recently below Wolves.

Sorry I stopped reading after this

Having spent $$$$loads at the end of August, they may well survive after appointing Hughes & spending even more $$$$loads, they may of course not

Hoganstolemywife
01-02-2012, 21:13
This may be controversial, but I'm not sure I want the team I support to be in a league where the only way of guaranteeing our continued involvement is by paying these kind of fees.

The worrying thing, I suppose, is that you're probably right. If we don't pay these wages, other clubs will.

That's not an argument for paying them though - it's just an elongated sigh.

As it is, I think we made good acquisitions in the window. 2 impact players and we stand half a chance again.

PumpKing
01-02-2012, 21:14
Don`t panic folks even through he got a 12th minute goal SSN reporting that Cisse is a spent force and needs to come off. He he!!!!

Wolves are staying in the Premier League.

MK Panther
01-02-2012, 21:15
Cisse always starts well then seems to get bored with whole aspect of being a striker. He has always had suitors and is basically a footballing mercenary.

loopy lupine
01-02-2012, 21:16
Ignoring the loan signings Mick has made

But you can't ignore the loan signings Mick has made. Loan signings cost money too, they are not freebies in the team, we will have to pay loan fees, wages and insurance on these guys.

He has signed 2 cracking players this transfer window.
They are quality and potentially the 2 best players in our squad, would you rather have signed 32 year old Cisse and 32 year old Zamora on permanent contracts or Frimpong and Bassong until the end of the season?

We needed first team players who would come in and change our current predicament. I think these 2 signings are those players and honestly, I think, looking at all the players who moved yesterday, we signed the 2 best players of the transfer market (possibly the Newcastle striker aside, but I don't know much about him).

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:17
AN, Cisse may not have done it at Lazio but are you really doubting his ability at the PL level?

13 goals in 49 games for the scousers. Hardly prolific.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:19
Sorry I stopped reading after this

Having spent $$$$loads at the end of August, they may well survive after appointing Hughes & spending even more $$$$loads, they may of course not

Yes they may still go down and although I have always gone on about quality I have also said that spending big guarantees nothing. Should they survive and Wolves do not though who will look at Wolves and say they did the right thing?

Cisse may be all the things people are levelling at him but has he not done what he was bought for tonight? Has Jonsson achieved the same for Wolves?

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:20
He has signed 2 cracking players this transfer window.

We needed first team players who would come in and change our current predicament. I think these 2 signings are those players and honestly, I think, looking at all the players who moved yesterday, we signed the 2 best players of the transfer market (possibly the Newcastle striker aside, but I don't know much about him).

Agree with that but think we should have done this in the summer. Also Bassong hasn't played much football for a while I believe so is hardly going to hit the ground running.

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 21:20
Cisse may be all the things people are levelling at him but has he not done what he was bought for tonight? Has Jonsson achieved the same for Wolves?

Is Jonsson a mega million pound striker? Not really seeing your point on this one

Ashley
01-02-2012, 21:23
Making an impact is what he's referring to

loopy lupine
01-02-2012, 21:23
Agree with that but think we should have done this in the summer. Also Bassong hasn't played much football for a while I believe so is hardly going to hit the ground running.

True - but then neither had JOH last January, and he seemed to do ok

KiwiWolf
01-02-2012, 21:26

Hmmm, 5 mins to go and quality not so much in evidence! :D:D

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:27
13 goals in 49 games for the scousers. Hardly prolific.

Slightly better than 1 in 4 games.

Remind me of the strike rate for most Wolves strikers this season.

Without Fletcher the goals for column would be even more dire than it already is.

tamworth wolf
01-02-2012, 21:28
I dont think many clubs would pay those sort of wages tbh. plenty of established clubs like villa or everton work to wage budgets and wouldnt dream of outlaying those sort of wages for pretty standard prem players. QPR lose there owner and they are heading for a big fall.

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:37
Paying over the odds for supposed quality gives you......squandering a two goal lead away to Villa.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:47
Paying over the odds for supposed quality gives you......squandering a two goal lead away to Villa.

Umm, let me see. Wolves last two home games they score two and conceed 6 and take no points. QPR take a point from an away game having won their last at home. Who would you say are doing the better of the two?

Same applies to your comment KiwiWolf. I'd say the QPR fans are a bit more satisfied than Wolves ones just now but hey it seems people are happy with Mick and Morgan where they haven't even managed to reach mediocrity so far this season.

I wish people would accept I'm not saying Wolves should pay silly wages but they need to improve the squad. Better can be signed without having to pay 80K per week.

Dews, my point re Jonnson is that he is not of the quality needed to make a difference. I don't expect him to score as often as I would a striker but he offered nothing last night, well not for Wolves anyway. He certainly offered a lot to LFC.

bridgnorthwolf
01-02-2012, 21:47
So quality gets you a point at Villa Park. So exactly what we got then.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:49
So quality gets you a point at Villa Park. So exactly what we got then.

Another that has totally missed the point.

Last two games QPR average 2 points a game, Wolves last two they average zilch.

QPR were struggling and they took action. Morgan has just stood by and let things trundle along.

Hand on heart tell me who you look the more likely to survive the drop right now?

scottishwolf II
01-02-2012, 22:38

QPR were struggling and they took action. Morgan has just stood by and let things trundle along.

Hand on heart tell me who you look the more likely to survive the drop right now?

I think QPR has a far better chance of staying up than us because they have just spent millions on transfers and wages. I also think its a substantial gamble for the future of that club.

I also think you should compare apples with apples. We drew at Villa and we beat Wigan at home. Exactly the same as QPR has just done in their last two games.

Don't get me wrong Essex I'm as miserable as you (well miserable, maybe not as miserable as you) about our prospects, our play and some of our purchases. However, I think you're using a very weak argument to try and prove your point. There are many better ones to do it.

Dr Wolfenstein
01-02-2012, 23:05

If I was an agent I'd just get you the 20 shirt & split the difference with Redknapp.

Bossworld
01-02-2012, 23:07
Speaking of other teams, I know it's a bit doom and gloom at the moment but if we could just string together two wins, I think we can rebuild the season.

Went to the Stadium of Light tonight, Sunderland outplayed Norwich without even getting out of second gear. I'd go as far to say that Norwich's defence was far worse than we were last night, they had no width and no attacking impetus. Only difference was that their fans were still singing at 3-0 down - then again I completely understand it's easy not to care about the result when you're seemingly safe in midtable.

But in recent years, Hull, Blackpool, Burnley have all had solid starts and fallen by the wayside after January.

Pleased to see Blackburn and Wigan lost, though Bolton have picked up 4 unlikely points. Think we can forget QPR, i'd love to see them fall flat on their face but it's just not going to happen. It's Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn and us, and hopefuly anyone else like Norwich or Swansea if they start to stutter.

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 23:09

Lets see how we do at QPR on Saturday before we gloat!

loopy lupine
02-02-2012, 00:15
Another that has totally missed the point.?

You're the one missing the point. You started the thread saying we need to sign quality and until we do we won't progress, we have signed two quality players in this transfer window, you're labouring about Jonsson but have you forgotten about Frimpong and Bassong? Better than any player QPR signed yesterday.

It's Mixu Paatelainen
02-02-2012, 02:08
Bloody United won as well last night. Another sign of quality over quantity. It's a shame that we never invested enough to sign Hernandez or Berbatov. Instead we only signed Eggert Jonsson.

Thicket.

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 05:08
Cisse always starts well then seems to get bored with whole aspect of being a striker. He has always had suitors and is basically a footballing mercenary.

You can't be a mercenary if you are no good at what you do. People wouldn't pay for your services.

Wonder Boyo
02-02-2012, 06:53
I watched all of the QPR game last night. They started off well and looked quite good going forward and deservedly took the lead. Then Villa came into it but conceded a second ridiculous own goal from nothing (you have to see it to believe it). From that point on QPR made Villa look like Barcelona - it was a 2-2 hammering - post, cross bar, off the backsides of players standing on the line. It was the luckiest point they'll ever get. Don't think i've ever seen a more one sided game. Let's hope their luck runs out on Saturday.

Numpty
02-02-2012, 08:03
You're the one missing the point. You started the thread saying we need to sign quality and until we do we won't progress, we have signed two quality players in this transfer window, you're labouring about Jonsson but have you forgotten about Frimpong and Bassong? Better than any player QPR signed yesterday.

Two players don't make a team though. The reason we are 19th is because we have not been consistent enough . Last season we were 3 minutes from been relegated and we signed Johnson to some how move us from the bottom 4 to mid table. Yes we have added Bassong and Frimpong who I think are good players but the damage has already been done. Apart from Hennersey , Ward and Fletcher over the course of the season the rest have been way below average.
On the note about QPR signing players and I am not having ago here, we lost 3-0 to them at Molineux and they have strengthend in certain areas. I think it will be a tough match on Saturday and I will be amazed if we beat them the way we are playing of late.

Paul76
02-02-2012, 08:42
QPR are going to whoop us I reckon.

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 08:58

I am with you Essex, more or less. It is perfectly reasonable to try and run a tight ship in terms of transfer fees and wages, but unfortunately we have taken it to extremes and it is going to cost us in the end (and i mean financially as well).

bridgnorthwolf
04-02-2012, 17:24

What a difference a few days makes!

A LOT of hard work to come, but things looking a lot rosier now.

If Djibril Cisse is "quality", give me the "honest plodder" Kevin Doyle any day...

Edgmond Wolf
04-02-2012, 17:30
qpr are going to whoop us i reckon.
:d:d

GoldenHorseshoe
04-02-2012, 17:38
Bridgeo and Edgmond - gloating is not nice you know
:D:D (one each)

Edgmond Wolf
04-02-2012, 17:40
Bridgeo and Edgmond - gloating is not nice you know
:D:D (one each)

It is funny though :D

GoldenHorseshoe
04-02-2012, 17:47
It is funny though :D

Sometimes those two set themselves up for a nice pee take, and it's only fair to oblige.:willy:

Paul76
04-02-2012, 18:25
To be fair, we were being whooped until the Frog got sent off. It's all good, I love to be proved wrong. It's a nice feeling to be sitting here knowing I can watch match of the day for the first time in ten years.

Edgmond Wolf
04-02-2012, 18:25
To be fair, we were being whooped until the Frog got sent off. It's all good, I love to be proved wrong. It's a nice feeling to be sitting here knowing I can watch match of the day for the first time in ten years.

Good man, have a beer in your hand and enjoy

luiandlui
04-02-2012, 20:00

Oh Dear, how embarassing.

SourCream&OnionUtd
04-02-2012, 20:09
You can't be a mercenary if you are no good at what you do. People wouldn't pay for your services.

Not having a go here, but that isn't exactly true. For one, all it takes is one buyer, and then of course how many players have we seen down the years almost purely living off of past reputation? Too many to count, so I'd say that you can be both a mercenary and crap at the same time.

Wagstaffe Was Magic
04-02-2012, 20:21
No sign of Essex . . . . . . . . .

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 20:34
No sign of Essex . . . . . . . . .

Maybe he's got a life :embarassed:

johnybig32
04-02-2012, 20:40
Has Essex been on tonight?

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 20:42
Has Essex been on tonight?

Last activity - today 10.51

johnybig32
04-02-2012, 20:43
Interesting that...

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 20:44
Interesting that...

I think he was going to the game, maybe he's then gone in to work

Evening all :D

WonderWolf
04-02-2012, 20:50
Essex: fretter extraordinaire

Lupo
04-02-2012, 20:52
Are we moving the drunk thread into here tonight?

WonderWolf
04-02-2012, 20:59
Are we moving the drunk thread into here tonight?

:D...

Are you 'qualified' to even ask the question?...

northnorfolkwolf
04-02-2012, 21:23
What a difference a few days makes!

A LOT of hard work to come, but things looking a lot rosier now.

If Djibril Cisse is "quality", give me the "honest plodder" Kevin Doyle any day...
So easy to be wise after the event. Had Cisse stayed on he'd most probably set up another for Zamorra like the first? they were all over us the 1st half.

Paul76
04-02-2012, 21:28
Makes me laugh this forum. You're either a doom merchant, or a happy clapper. What if you're in the middle?

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 21:30
Makes me laugh this forum. You're either a doom merchant, or a happy clapper. What if you're in the middle?

You make nearly 22,000 posts :wavey:

WonderWolf
04-02-2012, 21:32

You're a fence post.

OldWolvesfart
04-02-2012, 22:05

Yes we get the message Essex all 17,000 of them you want Morgan out and Mcarthy in the gutter where he belongs and new owner and manager installed as soon as possible.

Mugwump
04-02-2012, 22:21
Cisse and Zamora looked like they would tear us apart imo. We got a lucky break today with him being so stupid. Still a good player, but a stupid one.

Mugwump
04-02-2012, 22:28
Not having a go here, but that isn't exactly true. For one, all it takes is one buyer, and then of course how many players have we seen down the years almost purely living off of past reputation? Too many to count, so I'd say that you can be both a mercenary and crap at the same time.

You could have a player who has only been at one club, past his best but somebody buys him for what he has done in the past. Thats not a mercenary. A true mercenary has to be good at their job. They sell their services to the highest bidder and they are sought after because they are good at what they do. Whether you could actually get a mercenary in football would be the debate i think. I just cant think of any footballer that moves year after year just for money.

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 22:31
A true mercenary has to be good at their job. They sell their services to the highest bidder and they are sought after because they are good at what they do. Whether you could actually get a mercenary in football would be the debate i think. I just cant think of any footballer that moves year after year just for money.

Tevez??

Edgmond Wolf
04-02-2012, 22:32

Apparently that's still a happy clapper

Mugwump
04-02-2012, 22:49
Tevez??

5 clubs in 11 years could make an argument. Saying that, he wasnt wanted at Manchester United so he had to leave them, and West Ham sold him because they needed the money.

Jarvo for England
04-02-2012, 23:02
Some great knowledge on display here. Tezez wasnt sold by WHU he was on loan to them as he was owned by a 3rd party. He was then loaned by the 3rd party to united. They didnt wnt to buy him so the 3rd party sold him to city. So technically he has only ever had one club

Lupo
04-02-2012, 23:09
apparently that's still a happy clapper
:d

SourCream&OnionUtd
05-02-2012, 01:18
You could have a player who has only been at one club, past his best but somebody buys him for what he has done in the past. Thats not a mercenary. A true mercenary has to be good at their job. They sell their services to the highest bidder and they are sought after because they are good at what they do. Whether you could actually get a mercenary in football would be the debate i think. I just cant think of any footballer that moves year after year just for money.

I suppose you are right, but I don't think players need to move year after year to be considered mercenaries. There is a considerable difference between what we might call mercenaries and journeymen. People like your Hayles, your Kuqis, your Quashies, those are journeymen. They bounce around year after year.

But IMO you don't have to move from club to club every season to be considered a mercenary, at least in my eyes. Dews mentioned Tevez. I'd agree. Sulley Muntari is a great example. Anelka is another one I feel. Chimbonda. Martins. Diouf. Camara. I think you could make a case for Cisse, he's bounced around a lot recently. That little lad Conca that moved to China one of the world's biggest contracts. You could go on and on if you really start thinking about it.

But it all goes back to your original point, which is that the service of these players needs to be in demand. But that also goes back to my point, which is that all that's really needed is a minimum of one club willing to pay them.