PDA

View Full Version : Has the Transfer Policy Let Us Down

Still Proud
01-02-2012, 19:13
I can only think of O'Hara and now Bassong (edit: add Frimpong) have arrived from a team at a higher level to us since we arrived in the Premiership. We've made a couple of excellent signings, some good, many poor and quite a few pointless. The fact that 7 of the team last night came up from the Championship suggests our policy hasn't worked. There are a few I suspect many of us have forgotten over the last 2 1/2 years.

Hahnemann. 0 good
Van Damme 2.5m poor
Fletcher 6.5m excellent
Doyle 6.5m good
O'Hara 5m excellent
Hunt 3m good
Halford 2m pointless
Maierhoffer 1.5m pointless
Bent 0 pointless
Mouylokolo 1.5m pointless
Hammill 0.6m poor
Milijas 3m poor
Mancienne 0m poor
Zubar 1.5m good
Muganji Bia 0m pointless
Basso 0m pointless
Griffiths 0.25m pointless
Guedioura 1m poor
Doherty 0m pointless
Johnson 5m poor
Jonnson 0.5m pointless
Surman 1m pointless
De Vires 0m pointless
Castillo 0m pointless
Bassong tbc

That's 24 (41.3m) signings of which only 3 (15.5m) are current first team players - fact is that Premiership quality players cost a min 5m at this benchmark.

We've spent 11m on 3 good (squad) players which means we've brought in 18 poor or pointless signings at a total cost of c15m or the equivalent of 3 first team players.

I know Johnson is in the first 3 by default which skews the investment even more but we could have theoretically fielded a team of 6 proven quality premiership standard players last night and probably be further up the table by now. 20m down the drain

Akaman
01-02-2012, 19:24
Other than your values being slightly out, this is reason in itself for McCarthy to get sacked.

Pundits turn round and say that McCarthy hasn't been backed - he's spent around 50m while Morgan has been his boss and the vast majority has been wasted. Though some of his signings, notably Van Damme and Surman COULD'VE been big successes.

Something going through my head the past day or two was that when a team wins the Championship, what percentage of players actually make it to be a Premier League regular, and I reckon it's a lot lower than the amount McCarthy hopes will keep us up.

Jamesjh89
01-02-2012, 19:25
De vries is not pooor.

Hammill is not poor.

Johnson is not poor.

Doherty is not poor.

Van damme was good but had issues that nobody could help.

Still Proud
01-02-2012, 19:29
Most of the fees are undisclosed though so we can but make our best guess I've erred on the side of caution but 15m divide by 18 players isn't VFM

Still Proud
01-02-2012, 19:33
De vries is not pooor.

Hammill is not poor.

Johnson is not poor.

Doherty is not poor.

Are they all of a standard that would improve our position in the table? If not then they are poor signings though not all poor players. De Vries I give you though my rating was based on the fact that Ikeme is just as good IMHO

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 19:33
I don't see Hunt as good, average maybe

Jamesjh89
01-02-2012, 19:42
Are they all of a standard that would improve our position in the table? If not then they are poor signings though not all poor players. De Vries I give you though my rating was based on the fact that Ikeme is just as good IMHO

I think hammill should be given a chance, johnson is getting there. Doherty is clearly going to be a good player.

Im not saying we shouldnt of signed more players, because we should have. But those players aint poor

spittlep
01-02-2012, 19:48
I would have liked to have seen how that list wold have turned out with better management and coaching

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 19:49
Blimey, what a question...............er...............after much deep thought.............yes!

wolf97
01-02-2012, 19:49
Milijas is not a poor player.

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:11
I can only think of O'Hara and now Bassong that have arrived from a team at a higher level to us since we arrived in the Premiership. We've made a couple of excellent signings, some good, many poor and quite a few pointless. The fact that 7 of the team last night came up from the Championship suggests our policy hasn't worked. There are a few I suspect many of us have forgotten over the last 2 1/2 years.

Hahnemann. 0 good
Van Damme 2.5m poor
Fletcher 6.5m excellent
Doyle 6.5m good
O'Hara 5m excellent
Hunt 3m good
Halford 2m pointless
Maierhoffer 1.5m pointless
Bent 0 pointless
Mouylokolo 1.5m pointless
Hammill 0.6m poor
Milijas 3m poor
Mancienne 0m poor
Zubar 1.5m good
Muganji Bia 0m pointless
Basso 0m pointless
Griffiths 0.25m pointless
Guedioura 1m poor
Doherty 0m pointless
Johnson 5m poor
Jonnson 0.5m pointless
Surman 1m pointless
De Vires 0m pointless
Castillo 0m pointless
Bassong tbc

That's 24 (41.3m) signings of which only 3 (15.5m) are current first team players - fact is that Premiership quality players cost a min 5m at this benchmark.

We've spent 11m on 3 good (squad) players which means we've brought in 18 poor or pointless signings at a total cost of c15m or the equivalent of 3 first team players.

I know Johnson is in the first 3 by default which skews the investment even more but we could have theoretically fielded a team of 6 proven quality premiership standard players last night and probably be further up the table by now. 20m down the drain

What has been the resale value for these players so we know the nett spend????

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:15
The list of players named highlights my very point about quantity and not quality being the problem.

There is absolutely no need for many of those places listed to have ever set foot inside Molineux and he monies spent would have been better spent on fewer but better.

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 20:20
De vries is not pooor.

Hammill is not poor.

Johnson is not poor.

Doherty is not poor.

This

loopy lupine
01-02-2012, 20:21
I can only think of O'Hara and now Bassong that have arrived from a team at a higher level to us since we arrived in the Premiership.

If you're going to start off a thread at least get your first sentance right...

FRIMPONG?????? I believe Arsenal are above us

Still Proud
01-02-2012, 20:22
I'm not saying they are poor quality players rather poor quality signings as none of them have moved on the quality of the team when that's what we need more than anything, Milijas for example has quality but his impact over nearly 3 seasons has been poor.

Still Proud
01-02-2012, 20:26
If you're going to start off a thread at least get your first sentance right...

FRIMPONG?????? I believe Arsenal are above us

Ta for pointing out my error I've corrected my unbelievable omission!

By the way if you're going to correct someone it's good to make sure your spelling is spot on.

loopy lupine
01-02-2012, 20:29
Ta for pointing out my error I've corrected my unbelievable omission!

By the way if you're going to correct someone it's good to make sure your spelling is spot on.

Only if you're correcting them on their speiling, not their stupidity ;)

Akaman
01-02-2012, 20:30
What has been the resale value for these players so we know the nett spend????

Nothing to do with the nett spend though is it if you're questioning McCarthy's success/failure.

Most if not all of those players will have been brought in on higher wages than our Championship workhorses, and many for a higher fee than Berra (MM's most expensive signing before promotion). Yet they can't displace our multitudes of signings for under 1m who we were able to offer the limelight of Championship football?

Only one place to point the finger

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:34
I am interested because we always get quoted how much has been spent blah blah
On those that did not work out did e get our money back?

Hence nett spend

We have what we spent what didwe get back

ginboomerang
01-02-2012, 20:38
Only if you're correcting them on their speiling, not their stupidity ;)

Moderator speil.

SanFranWolf
01-02-2012, 20:53
You make a good point still proud.

I think though that weve already changed the strategy for the better... We shouldnt imo blow all our money on expensive players like QPR are but I think 2/3's of our outlay should go on proven prem talent from now on. The other 1/3 we should be investing in the best young players we can find. Take Jonnson out and put some real hot shot kid with big potential in and you could say that's what we kind of did this Jan right?

Sandwell Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:14
Hennessey - FREE Brilliant
Foley - 600,000 Excellent
Ward - 100,000 Stunning
Kightly - 25,000 Phenomenal
Henry - 100,000 Super
Jarvis - 400,000 Fantastic
Edwards 350,000 Great
Ebanks-Blake 1,250,000 Class

Akaman
01-02-2012, 21:53
Ward - 100,000 Stunning
Henry - 100,000 Super
Edwards 350,000 Great
Ebanks-Blake 1,250,000 Class

Foley, yes
Ward 250,000
Kightly, yes
Henry, yes
Jarvis 600,000
Edwards 650,000
SEB 1.5M

All worked well in the championship, apart from Edwards who wasn't a regular. But how many have made the step up? I say Jarvis, Henry is ok and Kightly is unproven. The rest? No chance. Don't include Hennessey because McCarthy has nothing to do with him being here.

Mugwump
01-02-2012, 21:58
Mick didn't sign henners I don't think

SourCream&OnionUtd
01-02-2012, 22:22
Nothing to do with the nett spend though is it if you're questioning McCarthy's success/failure.

Most if not all of those players will have been brought in on higher wages than our Championship workhorses, and many for a higher fee than Berra (MM's most expensive signing before promotion). Yet they can't displace our multitudes of signings for under 1m who we were able to offer the limelight of Championship football?

Only one place to point the finger

Good point too, relative to wages. The thing that aggravates me the most isn't so much the professed unwillingness to bring in players that are not "from in and around the Premier League."

What astounds me is you look over those names brought in that could be considered "from in and around the Premier League," (which btw, I take to mean either Prem or good Champ standard deemed capable of the step up), and just look at all of the mistakes already made.

So how or why then does that become the top criteria when looking at players, when there has already been arguably a litany of failures using that same policy?

It's ridiculous and it just seems to get worse with every passing window.

Oldgold Wolfcub
01-02-2012, 22:31
Ward - 100,000 Stunning
Henry - 100,000 Super
Edwards 350,000 Great
Ebanks-Blake 1,250,000 ClassWe are second from bottom and playing rubbish football. So unless you are happy with relegation all your greats, etc add up to not good enough. End of story.

Still Proud
04-03-2012, 15:30
Well 45m spent and we have bought one Premiership quality player in all that time. Make the most of Fletch for the next few weeks, because he'll be a Premiership player again next season.

Strats
04-03-2012, 15:37
To sum it up ... our players are NOT good enough, they are not Premier League standard (with a couple of exceptions). The club has tried (and failed) to 'do the job' on the cheap, as have other clubs BUT other clubs brought 'quality' (cheaply) from abroad ... not hungry youngsters.
Hungry youngsters got us to the promised land but quality/cheap foreign imports were needed to underpin the 'next step' ... and yes, it would have taken a few games for the foreigners to 'bed in' but we wouldn't be staring our starting position in the face so soon again.

andyc225
04-03-2012, 15:39
Why didn't we just give USA another year's contract?

Perton Wolf
04-03-2012, 15:40
Van Damme looked good when he played, not poor. Much better than Ward anyway.