PDA

View Full Version : Bassong

Munro Munro
01-02-2012, 17:26
This signing not getting much attention at the moment, it could be that when people were thinking a striker was coming it is a defender that puts us back on the right track. This as i see it is the last throw of the dice for Mick and it could very well work out.

Sharples
01-02-2012, 17:27
We could have signed anyone from the top 6 in any position and it would have improved us...

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 17:39
I know Bassong is a defender and a CB but which position exactly does he normally play left or right???

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 17:41
Left, Edgmond. He will be replacing Berra, or play left back... Ward for Striker anyone?

Wandsworth Wolf
01-02-2012, 17:43
From the Guardian website:

The six best January buys.

Sébastien Bassong. Tottenham to Wolves, loan

The Tottenham Hotspur centre-half has gone on loan to Wolverhampton Wanderers and Mick McCarthy's craving for new blood in the middle of the back four is understandable. The situation is delicate since Roger Johnson is captain and, in theory, mainstay. In practice, his form has been uneven and Wolves are in too much trouble to exercise patience indefinitely. Bassong will be a rival if not a replacement. This area of the side is critical for those at risk since it is unlikely they will save themselves from relegation by embarking on a scoring spree. McCarthy, a pragmatist by nature and circumstance, will see that a little improvement in the back four could bring great dividends.

Elvis Wolf
01-02-2012, 17:50

The Tottenham Hotspur centre-half has gone on loan to Wolverhampton Wanderers and Mick McCarthy's craving for new blood in the middle of the back four is understandable. The situation is delicate since Roger Johnson is captain and, in theory, mainstay. In practice, his form has been uneven and Wolves are in too much trouble to exercise patience indefinitely. Bassong will be a rival if not a replacement. This area of the side is critical for those at risk since it is unlikely they will save themselves from relegation by embarking on a scoring spree. McCarthy, a pragmatist by nature and circumstance, will see that a little improvement in the back four could bring great dividends.
Excellent signing it seems !!:top::beer:

Hoganstolemywife
01-02-2012, 17:50
It's an excellent signing, far better than I hoped for!

The Liverpool debacle is still fresh in my mind though :(.

I'll be a lot more confident if our rivals don't win tonight.

ice cream head
01-02-2012, 17:58
I'll be even more confident when O' Hara comes back. On paper, our fit first 11 is mid to lower league table strong, however plenty of teams with better players than ours have been relegated before now.

I suppose the hope is Johnson is telling the truth in that the players are still 100% behind the manager and with the extra quality coming in/back we can still get enough wins. Facts about McCarthy's future need to be faced, he is going nowhere, so even though he's one of the poorest tacticians in the PL, I have to hope our better players can somehow get us out of this mess, keep us up and Morgan see's the light in the summer and sacks him.

arctic rime
01-02-2012, 18:04
Is o hara ready ?

spittlep
01-02-2012, 18:11
It's too little too late.

Taffywolf
01-02-2012, 18:11
It's not going to be enough to chnage our season around though, Our midfield still can't boss a game and we dont create enough chances. Is he an improvement? Possibly. But he was 5th choice centreback at Spurs for a reason. To me it's Mick just bringing someone in for the sake of it again just to say he's tried. No i'm not writing SB off as a bad signing but I just thiunk there are other areas more urgent than CB.

andyc225
01-02-2012, 18:15
Is o hara ready ?

I imagine he'll feature against QPR.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 18:17
What are the chances of our "best eleven" all being fit at the same time?

Also, there is the psychological problem caused by being in the bottom three. Theoretically it shouldn't matter, these are highly paid professional footballers and they should be able to overcome this.
Unfortunately, time after time, we see, what on paper are good quality teams, being unable to escape from the drop zone.

If we don't claw our way back to the promised land ( 4th from the bottom! ) very quickly, it won't happen at all.
Even with Mad Mick's famous inspired leadership!

wolfyjoe
01-02-2012, 18:31
It's too little too late.

It's February. Are you aware of how many games we play in the Premier League?

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 18:33
Left, Edgmond. He will be replacing Berra, or play left back... Ward for Striker anyone?

Cheers Stefan, I looked at various websites without joy.

Can Berra play CB on the right?? He can not be any worse than Rodge the Bodge :eek:

Pengwern
01-02-2012, 18:36
Facing Cisse and Zamora, we need pace. Bassong apparently has it and so does Berra. Drop Johnson!

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 18:50

This

Please replace Rodge the Bodge with Bassong......TODAY if not sooner

SanFranWolf
01-02-2012, 19:03
Given how late it went through I suspect he probably woke up this morning, got in the car and only headed up to Compton to meet the squad in the afternoon.

I'd be expecting the press conference and pictures on the official site tomorrow.

Really pleased he's signed for us.

SanFranWolf
01-02-2012, 19:05
This

Not arguing Edgmond but I think calling him that is a bit harsh - his form has been up and down but there have been a few games recently where he's looked a really good player.

Bottom line is that given we haven't kept a clean sheet in a 20 games something has to give though.

GoldForever
01-02-2012, 19:06
Berra and Bassong wouldnt work, both left footed and the defense would be totally unbalanced.
As much as i think Berra is "ok", he is 1 clumsy $$$$, always panics when on the ball too, definitely Johnson-Bassong for me.

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 19:07
Not arguing Edgmond but I think calling him that is a bit harsh - his form has been up and down but there have been a few games recently where he's looked a really good player.

Bottom line is that given we haven't kept a clean sheet in a 20 games something has to give though.

Should call him yo-yo then... or rollercoaster :D

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 19:12

He was bailed out by Berra during the Villa match. Last night he made error after error and Berra or Hennessey came to the rescue.

He then had a go at some fan in the Billy Wright lower, he was clearly audible shouting shut up.....sorry bringing him in as captain was a mistake. Berra has been consistently better than him all season.

Yes calling him Rodge the Bodge is harsh but he is causing too many mistakes every game, blowing his mouth off at players, fans and the articles. He needs to stop and show us why we paid so much for him...

But first we need to replace him in the team!!!!

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 19:13
Given how late it went through I suspect he probably woke up this morning, got in the car and only headed up to Compton to meet the squad in the afternoon.

I'd be expecting the press conference and pictures on the official site tomorrow.

Really pleased he's signed for us.

I was informed (on the drive back up last night) that he was at Molineux for the game (Liverpool that is)

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 19:15
I was informed (on the drive back up last night) that he was at Molineux for the game (Liverpool that is)

Ouch bet he loved watching his new partner / s

The Weasel
01-02-2012, 19:21
Anyone for a Craddock ...Bassong partnership? Jody got 90mins for the reserves the other day...

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 19:24
Anyone for a Craddock ...Bassong partnership? Jody got 90mins for the reserves the other day...

Yep just been thinking that exact thought....

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 19:47

Yep just been thinking that exact thought....

Strangely enough it was mentioned on a thread this afternoon. One about who gets dropped for Bassong IIRC :rolleyes:

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 19:58
It's February. Are you aware of how many games we play in the Premier League?

Two wins in the last twenty one. Its looking good! How many games left?
How many of those are we going to win going by our form for the majority of this season?

Pengwern
01-02-2012, 20:05
Many trams have two right footers in central defence,so what's wrong with two left-footers? They are rarer and so fast strikers like the new QPR pair are more used to going past right footers than lefties.

Pengwern
01-02-2012, 20:06
teams not trams! Trams don't have feet, I forgot that!

Michellis
01-02-2012, 20:08
Quality loan.
Good player.
Too late to save us alas.

Wednesbury Wolf
01-02-2012, 20:13
Far too late and not that good.

Monkey Man
01-02-2012, 20:24
He hasn't played much at all which means he'll need a good 4 games to get up to speed, it might be too little too late by then.

We are putting a lot of pressure on him saving us.

Bevan
01-02-2012, 20:27
1 clean sheet all season. My god that is woeful.

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 20:31

Wolves 2 Fulham 0
Villa 0 Wolves 0

No I'm not clutching at straws just being more than a little pedantic

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 20:37
I don't see how Bassong will save us any more than Frimpong will.................wait a minute why don't we sign Rodney Ontong and make a full set of "ongs"?

Ok, I know he was Cricketer!............but could he be worse than Eggbert and Fotheringwotsit?

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:15
Wolves 2 Fulham 0
Villa 0 Wolves 0

No I'm not clutching at straws just being more than a little pedantic

You are a mine of information :)

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 21:23
This

Disagree. Rog is proven at this level (though he has been $$$$ for us for most of the season), as is Bassong. They should boith start at CB v QPR.

Form is temporary class is permanent.

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 21:25
You are a mine of useless information :)

Who knows how to use Google ;)

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 21:26
Disagree. Rog is proven at this level (though he has been $$$$ for us for most of the season), as is Bassong. They should boith start at CB v QPR.

Why are you using class in a post about Roger Johnson? :confused:

bridgnorthwolf
01-02-2012, 21:27

Precisely!

wolfyjoe
01-02-2012, 21:51
Two wins in the last twenty one. Its looking good! How many games left?
How many of those are we going to win going by our form for the majority of this season?

Too little too late implies there is no way we can come back from this which is bull$$$$.

Regardless of what you say, we're also only two points from safety. Nothing's set in stone yet however much you like to argue that it is!

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:52
I'm hoping Bassong will go straight into the team at QPR and that O'Hara makes his comeback.

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:57

How long his his $$$$y form going to last before you think the guy who is doing the business should play?

He has been second best now for half a season

I would play Berra blind fold before I played Johnson

goldeneyed
01-02-2012, 23:28
A very good signing imv although he may be a bit rusty. If we by some miracle escape we should sign him long term without a doubt. It is probably too late but in theory he could make a vital difference as long as the rest of the team pull together around him. I fancy us creating an ex Tottenham faction which might include Tom Huddlestone one day to play with O'Hara in the centre. We could add Krancjar to that as well. Ambition needed however.

StefanWolves
01-02-2012, 23:31
How long his his $$$$y form going to last before you think the guy who is doing the business should play?

He has been second best now for half a season

I would play Berra blind fold before I played Johnson

They're both as bad as each other, 20 games without a clean sheet really says it all

Boss Hogg
02-02-2012, 09:02
Craddock and Bassong for me too - pace plus experience. A fitting finale for Jody

Paul76
02-02-2012, 09:16
Excellent signing me thinks. I'm worried about our fullbacks as well. I don't believe they're good enough either. Hopefully Zubar can keep fit. Bassong can make a difference. Who knows, we might still stay up.

Worried about Bolton though. They've turned the corner and are looking more likely.

Munro Munro
04-02-2012, 20:05
ok im blowing my own trumpet but hey we one ive ad a few

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 20:24
ok im blowing my own trumpet

Lucky boy :goodnight:

Golden_Wolf
04-02-2012, 20:49
Far too late and not that good.

Bassong is not that good? Are you serious?

WolvesAreBoringOnCeefax
04-02-2012, 20:56
I find it hard to judge defenders, I'll be honest, attacking play is easy to see and rate but a good defender is a bit more subtle. Bassong looked decent though, always wanting the ball to his feet rather than being happy to see it hoofed and can't remember him smashing it long, or losing possession. Definitely think it could make a difference having Bassong/Frimpong/O'Hara down the spine of the team, they've all come with top footballing educations from decent sides which can't be said of a lot of our players, naturally gifted as they are. Shows the importance of good coaching, just having that bit of composure and wanting to play on the ground rather than smashing it clear, even if deep down they're not necessarily that massively more naturally talented than the ones we've picked up from the lower leagues.

If Bassong plays a good role in keeping us up we should sign him, simple.

northnorfolkwolf
04-02-2012, 21:30
You have to have the quality in the first place and then good coaching enhances the natural ability. As you say Frimpong, JOH and Bassong have been well educated allied to natural ability. Average players will never ever become good players, esp with poor coaching which I believe we have at Wolves. Stearman, Berra, Edwards will always be average players and because we don't have top quality coaches decent players like Milijas will never step up.

stever
04-02-2012, 22:04

But Norwich have only had 2 as well and look where they are. Means nothing as long as you are attack minded which they are and we arent unfortunately

Dewsburywolf
04-02-2012, 22:07
But Norwich have only had 2 as well and look where they are.

So same as us then

Dewolf
04-02-2012, 23:27
You have to have the quality in the first place and then good coaching enhances the natural ability. As you say Frimpong, JOH and Bassong have been well educated allied to natural ability. Average players will never ever become good players, esp with poor coaching which I believe we have at Wolves. Stearman, Berra, Edwards will always be average players and because we don't have top quality coaches decent players like Milijas will never step up.

Utter rubbish. If players have drive, fitness and determination of course they can go from being mediocre to good. To say otherwise suggests you know nothing about sport in general, let alone football.

Lupo
04-02-2012, 23:39
Utter rubbish. If players have drive, fitness and determination of course they can go from being mediocre to good. To say otherwise suggests you know nothing about sport in general, let alone football.

Agreed, norfolk's a bucket, not a balloon