PDA

View Full Version : Steve Morgan and the players

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 13:35
I know for a fact that Morgan went to the dressing room straight after the game last night and gave the players a rocket. This from a guest of one of the directors who is a mate of mine (and a Liverpool fan). Don't know if MM got one too.

-ShuWolf-
01-02-2012, 13:37
Good

bridgnorthwolf
01-02-2012, 13:42
The players have had an extra training session called for this week too.

Tettenhall Wolf
01-02-2012, 13:43
His face was like a bulldog chewing a wasp last night watching that game. I could tell he was boiling. That said, he also knew we'd sign bassong, but none of us did.

MK Panther
01-02-2012, 13:44
Extra training what does that mean if they are already trained, ready for action, their tactics need updating urgently!

kidder_wolf_II
01-02-2012, 13:46

Great more running around and hard work for the squad personally i would like to see extra tactics and formation sessions followed by an extra few hours looking at how QPR set up tonight under Mark Hughes might do the trick.

I honestly think we have looked under prepared in most our games this season.

Bostin
01-02-2012, 13:48
Sometimes our game plan is ok, like against Villa. It's when we go behind (which is 9/10) that we don't have a clue.

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 13:51
I know for a fact that Morgan went to the dressing room straight after the game last night and gave the players a rocket. This from a guest of one of the directors who is a mate of mine (and a Liverpool fan). Don't know if MM got one too.

Good they needed it for that shocking second half display.

I hope he had Rodge the Bodge in seperately this morning and gave him an extra reaming for a woeful display and took the armband off him. He is $$$$ing useless.

O.W.E.I
01-02-2012, 13:53
Really - why not just go in and give MM his P45, then?

If Morgan feels the need to interfere in the workings of a manager that he has continually backed, then surely even he can see something positive MUST be done before the whole house of cards really does come tumbling down.

Bostin
01-02-2012, 13:53
The players don't need a rollocking, they need a new manager who will coach and set them up in games properly

mikic
01-02-2012, 13:57
I dont think he would have had this problem had some decisive action been taken sooner

JR's Boots
01-02-2012, 13:58
Morgan's the only one with the power to change things. He should be spending today lining up a replacement manager in time for the QPR game.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 13:58
The blokes a scouser and a self confessed Liverpool fan who once tried to buy the club. Was he really that peed off the club he supports just won 0-3 away from home?

Morgan has said a lot of things but has not lived up to them so even if he did go and give the players a rocket it won't make a jot of difference whilst McCarthy manages them.

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 14:00

Don't think that is part of his role and if he did do that it further undermines a manager who looks more and more like a dead man walking. Decisive action earlier in the season would have avoided such an unsightly episode.

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 14:01
The blokes a scouser and a self confessed Liverpool fan who once tried to buy the club. Was he really that peed off the club he supports just won 0-3 away from home?

Morgan has said a lot of things but has not lived up to them so even if he did go and give the players a rocket it won't make a jot of difference whilst McCarthy manages them.

If it ends up costing him £40million plus he may be slightly miffed.

Monkey Man
01-02-2012, 14:01
Would explain why Mick backed his players in the BBC interview.

Sandwell Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:02
Sometimes our game plan is ok, like against Villa. It's when we go behind (which is 9/10) that we don't have a clue.

Even though we've managed to get 10 points this season from losing positions.

V Wolf
Really - why not just go in and give MM his P45, then?

If Morgan feels the need to interfere in the workings of a manager that he has continually backed, then surely even he can see something positive MUST be done before the whole house of cards really does come tumbling down.

Could actually help Mick create a siege mentality with the players. Morgan puts the fear of God into them and makes it clear their performances are not good enough, Mick builds them up to improve and prove him, and everyone else wrong.

kidder_wolf_II
Someone send the Statement Leeds have just released to Morgan please.

It's word for word what we should be doing.

Bostin
01-02-2012, 14:03
Even though we've managed to get 10 points this season from losing positions.

How many times have we gone in front and lost the game, or conceded 15 in the second half Statto?

Phys Ed Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:04
If true, sounds similar to the story of Graham Turner and young Hayward on the coach on the way back from the game against Portsmouth. Turner says he knew the writing was on the wall then, I wonder if Mick has the same feeling?

Strats
01-02-2012, 14:04
Well, at least it's somewhat comforting knowing that the bloke is 'hurting' like the rest of us right now ... it's a start at least ...

... but don't stop there Mr Morgan, you and only you, have the power to truly change matters ... or try to change matters.

bridgnorthwolf
01-02-2012, 14:05
I fully believe for the first time that Mick has two games MAX to save his job.

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:07

what have they said? Bates is a joke he sells anyone decent doesn't give the manager funds to replace them

andy-in-seat-190
01-02-2012, 14:11

"Leeds United have today dispensed with the services of Simon Grayson and his coaching staff.
Chief Executive Shaun Harvey said: "We have 18 games to go this season and are still within touching distance of the Play-Offs, but felt with the transfer window now closed we needed to make the change at this time in the belief that a new managerial team will be able to get more out of the existing squad of players and make the difference."
Simon and his staff have given the club over three good years service and we would like to place on record our thanks and wish them all the best for the future.
Current youth team manager Neil Redfearn has been asked to take temporary charge of the first team until a new manager is available."

kidder_wolf_II
01-02-2012, 14:12
what have they said? Bates is a joke he sells anyone decent doesn't give the manager funds to replace them

Simply stating that now the transfer window is closed whilst they are in touching distance of the play offs they feel they need a new management team to try and get the best out of the side.

Morgan needs to make the change now before it's to late and becomes an impossible task

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:14
If it ends up costing him £40million plus he may be slightly miffed.

And if it does AN it will be a large part of his own doing. I have absolutely no time or sympathy for the man. He has failed to deliver what's needed and he should have taken positive steps months ago.

O.W.E.I
01-02-2012, 14:17
"Leeds United have today dispensed with the services of Simon Grayson and his coaching staff.
Chief Executive Shaun Harvey said: "We have 18 games to go this season and are still within touching distance of the Play-Offs, but felt with the transfer window now closed we needed to make the change at this time in the belief that a new managerial team will be able to get more out of the existing squad of players and make the difference."
Simon and his staff have given the club over three good years service and we would like to place on record our thanks and wish them all the best for the future.
Current youth team manager Neil Redfearn has been asked to take temporary charge of the first team until a new manager is available."

I expect a similar statement from Molineux by 1700 IF, that's IF they are serious about making any attempt to retain our bloody hard gained Premiership status.

However, I won't hold my breath.

Big Mack
01-02-2012, 14:22

I think the opposite of what you're implying is nearer the truth in that his Liverpool supporting mates would have been in his ear telling him what a shower of crap he's bought. He would have been embarrased by that performance and more so that it was against Liverpool.

If he did hand out a rollicking to the players though is an entirely different issue and opens a whole can of worms as to him running out of patience with the current regime.

OCD Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:28
I just think Morgan has been a bit naive, he has fallen for Moexy's spin and backed Mick, thinking long term we'll get through this patch and all will be hunky dory.
I'm sure Moxey has constantly reminded him about us dispensing with Graham Taylor too soon and pleading continuity.

Moxey wanted to keep Hoddle on and insists Mick is a 'quality manager'. IMO bottom line is is that Moxey has influence on Morgan and he really can't be bothered to go through the process of getting us a new manager.
Had Moxey said to Morgan months ago that we should investigate a managerial change I'm confident it would have happened by now, after all Moxey is supposed to be the one in touch with the 'sales and marketing' side of things (including 'customer' satisfaction.)

I know it's been said a lot on here but Stoke haven't looked back since they parted company with Moxey, they have gone on to establish themselves and actually pay some good players decent wages.

I think our owner has placed too much store on Moxey's business model. Fundamentally I think he's quite a decent pragmatic guy but the CEO who is supposed to be in touch with matters football is advising him badly.

It's chicken and egg, does Moxey take his orders and brief from Morgan or does Morgan take advice and steers from Moxey? I suspect the latter, but I guess we'll never know..

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:35
I think the opposite of what you're implying is nearer the truth in that his Liverpool supporting mates would have been in his ear telling him what a shower of crap he's bought. He would have been embarrased by that performance and more so that it was against Liverpool.

If he did hand out a rollicking to the players though is an entirely different issue and opens a whole can of worms as to him running out of patience with the current regime.

Could well be the case BM but it's not so much a case of him buying a shower of crap but a case of him letting it become one when he had every chance to stop that being so.

Big Mack
01-02-2012, 14:52
Agreed EW, he's can blame everyone, but when he gives out the next rollicking he should be looking in the mirror.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:02
Agreed EW, he's can blame everyone, but when he gives out the next rollicking he should be looking in the mirror.

Yup but I think if he told us what was on his mind hand on heart he would acknowledge his mistakes.

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:04
I wonder if he'd have gone into the changing room if he hadn't got stick off the fans

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:05
Morgan deserves credit but he also deserves some of the flack that he got last night.

Morgan and Moxey set the strategy. They set the transfer fee allocation and they set the wage limits.

After last season, Morgan quoted we would not be here again. Meaning he wanted to make sure Wolves were safe from relegation.

I think that Morgan, Moxey and McCarthy thought that Swansea, Norwich and one from Blackburn and Wigan would go down this season and that we needed minimal strengthening. Well we all knew in the summer transfer window that just adding Rodge the Bodge was not enough. That strategy is the big mistake. So yes Morgan has to shoulder some of the blame

Secondly we had our January transfer sorted out long before January and we added Eggert and Frimpong on 1st January and that was it. After announcing the delays to the Steve Bull, Morgan under fire added extra funds (£4.5M). Second mistake that was never enough to get the sort of players (more than one) that was needed.

We tried to get Micks targets but we did not have sufficient in the pot and our wage limits preclude too many who could do a job. After much puffing and panting we get another loanee in Bassong.

Yes Morgan has to take some of the blame

1. Poor transfer window in the summmer - under funded
2. Poor strategy funds and wage limits
3. PR on Steve Bull
4. January transfer window although the two loan players will add some needed spark

Last night he got sight of the fans anger with some of the South Bank chanting about the houses and by other accounts fans in the Billy Wright giving abuse. If we dont get anything out of the QPR game and things go bad against Baggies then he will be in for a whole shedload of more.....

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:05
I wonder if he'd have gone into the changing room if he hadn't got stick off the fans

How would we ever know?

He may have been genuinely peed off and would have done it whatever.

PumpKing
01-02-2012, 15:09

Good thing he did , they needed it.

Probably the last bit a info we get from your mate though, he won`t get anymore invites if he cannot keep things like this to himself will he.?

Woburn Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:12
Work harder not smarter is Mick's ethos. Hope the bootcamp approach works but I cannot see it. Our problem is not a lack of fitness but a lack of guile combined with too many defensive errors.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:26
Work harder not smarter is Mick's ethos. Hope the bootcamp approach works but I cannot see it. Our problem is not a lack of fitness but a lack of guile combined with too many defensive errors.

You could scour the world for the fittest 11 people available but if they can't play football then an organised and disciplined 11 who are just half decent at the game would beat them.

Mick places far too much emphasis on effort and committment. Both great attributes but if there is a distinct lack of ability they don't matter a jot.

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 15:28
Good thing he did , they needed it.

Probably the last bit a info we get from your mate though, he won`t get anymore invites if he cannot keep things like this to himself will he.?

I've haven't given away any names. He's a Liverpool fan (from Kent!) I used to work with and he came up to W'ton just for this match as an invitee of one of our non-exec directors. Obviously, he doesn't know Morgan personally, but was physically close enough to see and hear what was going on last night.

greco wolf
01-02-2012, 15:33
I've haven't given away any names. He's a Liverpool fan (from Kent!) I used to work with and he came up to W'ton just for this match as an invitee of one of our non-exec directors. Obviously, he doesn't know Morgan personally, but was physically close enough to see and hear what was going on last night.

that narrows it down then - he deffo get found out now!

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 15:33
Simply stating that now the transfer window is closed whilst they are in touching distance of the play offs they feel they need a new management team to try and get the best out of the side.

Morgan needs to make the change now before it's to late and becomes an impossible task

I agree. Sort it Morgan!
Statement today please announcing Micks departure along with Connor.

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:34

:d

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 15:36

He won't care a bugger -- it was a total one off.

greco wolf
01-02-2012, 15:39
I know - only kidding :)

Oaky65
01-02-2012, 15:41

As soon as other teams stop our wingers were $$$$ed, ie Veela
But last night our wingers didn't hardly have a sniff, and we dont have a plan B

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 15:44
As soon as other teams stop our wingers were $$$$ed, ie Veela
But last night our wingers didn't hardly have a sniff, and we dont have a plan B

We never play through the middle or attempt to. We are so predictable. Liverpool wont get an easier game all season than the one last night!:mad:

arctic rime
01-02-2012, 15:48
If true , about bloody time well played Steve !

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 15:50

About bloody time he replaced the manager and clipboard!

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 15:51

If not far too late.

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 15:59

There is no 'if' about it mate. He pays their wages, and I think he takes the view they are his employees, just like Mick is.

Bumbamuffin
01-02-2012, 16:01
IF that has happened,Mick's finished.

JR WAS KING
01-02-2012, 16:04
I just think Morgan has been a bit naive, he has fallen for Moexy's spin and backed Mick, thinking long term we'll get through this patch and all will be hunky dory.
I'm sure Moxey has constantly reminded him about us dispensing with Graham Taylor too soon and pleading continuity.

Moxey wanted to keep Hoddle on and insists Mick is a 'quality manager'. IMO bottom line is is that Moxey has influence on Morgan and he really can't be bothered to go through the process of getting us a new manager.
Had Moxey said to Morgan months ago that we should investigate a managerial change I'm confident it would have happened by now, after all Moxey is supposed to be the one in touch with the 'sales and marketing' side of things (including 'customer' satisfaction.)

I know it's been said a lot on here but Stoke haven't looked back since they parted company with Moxey, they have gone on to establish themselves and actually pay some good players decent wages.

I think our owner has placed too much store on Moxey's business model. Fundamentally I think he's quite a decent pragmatic guy but the CEO who is supposed to be in touch with matters football is advising him badly.

It's chicken and egg, does Moxey take his orders and brief from Morgan or does Morgan take advice and steers from Moxey? I suspect the latter, but I guess we'll never know..

All fatty ever does is spout off about the American basketball sports model. He came up with some plan the other week and none of the other CEO's took any notice of him (can't remember what it was). I wish he would just $$$$ off back to the good old US of A. I really despise the bloke

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 16:06
IF that has happened,Mick's finished.

FFS. Are you telling me I'm lying, or what? I'll quote you the relevant part of the email. I had voiced a lot of negatives about SM and he came back with:

".... I met Steve Morgan afterwards. He went to the dressing room to give the players a rocket after the game. That's in his favour at least."

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 16:28
OCD, perfect, that is what I have thought for a long time.

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 16:33
I have been informed that last night Mick offered his resignation but it wasn't accepted. I would normally ignore such rumours but given it appears Morgan stepped over the mark, and Mick being a proud man, I am inclined to believe this may indeed be true.

Bankswolf II
01-02-2012, 16:43
Maybe didnt like the abuse he got his way
Be interested to see whether he goes to the albion game

richiej95
01-02-2012, 16:45
Was absolutely gutted when I found out I would miss the Baggies game, but if we go behind or even lose on the 12th then my word things are going to get nasty at Molineux! Maybe not too bad that I won't be there to see it!

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 16:48
It is obviously tempting, as the owner of a football club, go and give the players a tattering when they've played badly.
However, it's the wrong thing to do in this case. This isn't a team that normally plays well and just had a one off bad hair day. With rare exceptions they play poorly all the time and generally look tactically inept. Last night was business as usual.
The person to lay into is the manager who chooses the personnel, the tactics and style of play. Something must be causing the professional footballers at Wolves to play as they've never learned to control a ball, or pass and move, or have any instinctive reactions.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 16:51
If Mick offered to resign why on earth didn't Morgan accept it?

Not that I believe a word of it. I think Mick will stay until he's forced out, with a nice wodge of money!

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 16:52
I have been informed that last night Mick offered his resignation but it wasn't accepted. I would normally ignore such rumours but given it appears Morgan stepped over the mark, and Mick being a proud man, I am inclined to believe this may indeed be true.

That's interesting. If he had really wanted to go, MM would have resigned and that's that. Sounds like it was a protest at what Morgan did, knowing that Morgan wouldn't accept because Mick knows Morgan has no Plan B.

Mark Rankines Lovechild
01-02-2012, 17:00
That's interesting. If he had really wanted to go, MM would have resigned and that's that. Sounds like it was a protest at what Morgan did, knowing that Morgan wouldn't accept because Mick knows Morgan has no Plan B.

Mick hasn't got a plan B either, so thats something they have in common.

arctic rime
01-02-2012, 17:23
There is no 'if' about it mate. He pays their wages, and I think he takes the view they are his employees, just like Mick is.

Good news then if he did , he needs to sort this mess out whilst we still have time !

Poztin
01-02-2012, 17:49

Not that I believe a word of it. I think Mick will stay until he's forced out, with a nice wodge of money!

He's on a 1 year rolling contract so I doubt he'd be swimming in it.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 17:49
If Morgan tells the players off, what are they supposed to do about it?

It's obvious that they play under strict orders from their manager, which is why they consistantly turn in such stilted performances.

Unless Mick really has got these grown men so cowed that they can't think for themselves, it's about they had a clear the air meeting and sorted out the reasons for their failures. It's happened at other clubs, where managers have lost the plot and the players have had to rebel.

arctic rime
01-02-2012, 17:51
Isn't mike Bassetts assistant a wolves fan who sits in the north bank ?

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 18:09
He's on a 1 year rolling contract so I doubt he'd be swimming in it.

Exactly...i'm slightly skeptical as to whether MM would have offered his resignation as I would have thought telling Morgan where to shove his job would be more in character...especially if he did go into the changing room and give the team a dressing down.

luckyjim
01-02-2012, 18:25
it was obvious that after the calls for Mick to go had been falling on deaf ears than the fans would turn their fire on Morgan. It's having an effect.

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 18:30
I don't think the fans have really called for Micks head in the ground yet.

Radio phone ins and on here maybe, but not at the match.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 18:35
Lose against the Boggies and the fans in the ground will definately call for his head!

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 18:38
I don't think the fans have really called for Micks head in the ground yet.

Radio phone ins and on here maybe, but not at the match.

There were a lot of noise in the South Bank last night and someone brought a banner with "Mac Out" - couldnt even spell but I think he meant Mick McCarthy

wolfyjoe
01-02-2012, 18:39

I'm pretty sure he's more interested in his multi million pound investment than Liverpool football club. Don't be silly!

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 18:40
There were a lot of noise in the South Bank last night and someone brought a banner with "Mac Out" - couldnt even spell but I think he meant Mick McCarthy

But they never actually called for his head.

2 wins in 22 was sung by Junglee I think

Stick your $$$$ing houses up your $$$$

But I didn't hear we want mick out or anything like that

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 18:41

no he was suggesting that wolves fans go on a burger binge at mcdonalds...he ran out of spray paint for the 'big'

Edgmond Wolf

Correct, just the odd individual mouthing off thats all

Chiswick_Wolf
I was having a long think about this last night. I guess we never really know what goes on behind closed doors. Has Mick got pretty much free reign to sign who he wants, when he wants, within the budget set out (which if you look at a link someone put up recently is not as bad as some make out - we're "midtable" on spend since 2003) and is too stubborn to sign the right players or signs one's that don't make an impact? i.e. Mick to blame.

Or

Does Mick have his hands tied behind his back because although the club will spend big on fees (because you can always recoup that money by resale) but not on wages (deemed to be pooring money down the drain)? ie the board/chairman to blame.

I find it difficult to decide. Mick has wasted an enormous amount of money on players designed to make us step up the league ladder - well over £20m on underused and underperforming talent. Yet at the same time - if I had given someone that much money myself and thought they were well under the expected levels of performance - there is no question I'd be getting rid and putting someone new in. Does that suggest that the board/chairman are happy with Mick because they realise he's making the best of a bad hand?

I don't think we'll ever truly know. All we do know is something is going to have to give soon. If we win the next two games - that bides us some time - but does it solve the problem? Lose the next two and I think the will of the fans may become too much.

Thank you Sir Jack
01-02-2012, 18:42
It looks like Morgan has woken up to the situation. Putting aside the frankly risible comments about house building, he has let the club and himself down by not acting sooner. He would have been embarrassed by the fact that it was little more than a training stint for his first love Liverpool (that isn't a dig at his divided loyalties just stating the reality) He will have taken things to heart and McCarthy will have felt his wrath. Thank goodness that Morgan didn't give the buffoon more money to waste in the window.

kidder_wolf_II
01-02-2012, 18:43

I'm not saying you are making this up but I suggest you post this on a Sunderland forum. I'm telling you now that you would be laughed out of town.

Mick would never quit not in a million years

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 18:44
I think most of our signings have come with a transfer fee but low wages... i guess when we signed o'hara & johnson the wages were a lot more & the reason why we didn't spend as much

spittlep
01-02-2012, 19:00
I agree. Sort it Morgan!
Statement today please announcing Micks departure along with Connor.

And Moxey please

TREASURE WOLF
01-02-2012, 19:13
i think if morgan has done this mick would have launched an attack back as they are his players and he is the manager, if morgan has a problem he should $$$$$$$ mick in private, lay down the law, stay up or job is gone, mick should then tear into the players and tell them how it is. if hes offered his resignation i bet it will be because he was upset at being shown up in front of the players

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 19:19
Morgan should give Mick a B*****ing in private.

Mick should give the players a B******ing in private.

The players should tell Mick to change his tactics / coaching methods because he's making them look chumps!
However, if they really are behind him and not just frightened, then they are chumps!

Wolves in Limerick
01-02-2012, 19:33
I think Steve Morgan has acted honourably through out his period in charge of Wolves. From what I know of the man he is a self made millionaire. That suggests someone who is hard headed, shrewd and is capable of taking a long term view of matters. It also suggests someone who is loyal to those who bring him success and will make allo$$$$es for extenuating circumstances where these occur. I would have no doubt that he listens to the other 2 M's and where he considers there arguments and suggestions well founded, supports them.

He is extremely wealthy by the standards that apply to paupers like myself but in the scheme of Premiership club owners he is probably not in the top 16 in terms of personnel wealth. He is also bringing to the club a business ethos that has served him well. In transferring this to the club it involves investing in the academy system as a means of developing the clubs future. This is practical and intelligent, believe me I live in a country where a hell of a lot of people are in all kinds of financial difficulties because of spending like there was no tomorrow.

Ultimately if SM throws money around like confetti, will we be successful? The point is well made that he has supported Mick in the past with significant amounts of money. The argument has also been well made by supporters that until Mick's arrival one of the problems the club had was that managers persisted in purchasing high cost players coming to the end of their careers who owed no loyalty to the club. Mick changed to the young and hungry policy and that in our case appears to have had limited success, but significantly more success than the policies pursued by previous managers.

Personally I think Mick has done a marvellous job for the club. I have argued elsewhere that I think that if relegation was to have been his lot it should really have happened in the first Premiership year. The fact that it didn't means that expectations are raised, and if it should happen in subsequent years everything turns very nasty as they appear to be doing this year. If it happened after Year 1 I think Mick would have brought us straight back up (as I think will happen next season if we go down and Morgan and Moxey stick with him). It would also have acted as an incentive for those players still with us to avoid the drop in future years a/la Charlton under Curbishley.

At this stage I don't know if Morgan and Moxey will remain loyal to MM. It is my hope they do, but I can understand the doubts they may be having. Certainly SM has remained loyal to MM to now and on the face of matters acted decently towards him. Contrast that with the treatment of Simon Grayson by Ken Bates. It is only a few weeks ago a Leeds Utd. supporting friend sent me a text saying Bates had gone mad, he was demanding promotion from the manager and at the same time selling any player with the remotest bit of talent. That is neither honourable or honest.

At this stage I fear we will be relegated this season. I personally remain loyal to Mick McCarthy and would like to acknowledge all he has done for the club. Steve Morgan and Jeb Moxey are also entitled to our acknowledgement. If the decision is made that a new manager would do better than Mick, I will be disappointed but he will get my support. Retaining that support will be on the basis of what he achieves for Wolverhampton Wanderers AFC.

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 19:39
Good post WIL but I'm guessing you weren't there last night and witnessed the $$$$ we had to sit through?

Words cannot express how bad it was, even NWW has turned to the dark side

freezin
01-02-2012, 19:41
I think Steve Morgan has acted honourably through out his period in charge of Wolves. From what I know of the man he is a self made millionaire. That suggests someone who is hard headed, shrewd and is capable of taking a long term view of matters. It also suggests someone who is loyal to those who bring him success and will make allo$$$$es for extenuating circumstances where these occur. I would have no doubt that he listens to the other 2 M's and where he considers there arguments and suggestions well founded, supports them.

He is extremely wealthy by the standards that apply to paupers like myself but in the scheme of Premiership club owners he is probably not in the top 16 in terms of personnel wealth. He is also bringing to the club a business ethos that has served him well. In transferring this to the club it involves investing in the academy system as a means of developing the clubs future. This is practical and intelligent, believe me I live in a country where a hell of a lot of people are in all kinds of financial difficulties because of spending like there was no tomorrow.

Ultimately if SM throws money around like confetti, will we be successful? The point is well made that he has supported Mick in the past with significant amounts of money. The argument has also been well made by supporters that until Mick's arrival one of the problems the club had was that managers persisted in purchasing high cost players coming to the end of their careers who owed no loyalty to the club. Mick changed to the young and hungry policy and that in our case appears to have had limited success, but significantly more success than the policies pursued by previous managers.

Personally I think Mick has done a marvellous job for the club. I have argued elsewhere that I think that if relegation was to have been his lot it should really have happened in the first Premiership year. The fact that it didn't means that expectations are raised, and if it should happen in subsequent years everything turns very nasty as they appear to be doing this year. If it happened after Year 1 I think Mick would have brought us straight back up (as I think will happen next season if we go down and Morgan and Moxey stick with him). It would also have acted as an incentive for those players still with us to avoid the drop in future years a/la Charlton under Curbishley.

At this stage I don't know if Morgan and Moxey will remain loyal to MM. It is my hope they do, but I can understand the doubts they may be having. Certainly SM has remained loyal to MM to now and on the face of matters acted decently towards him. Contrast that with the treatment of Simon Grayson by Ken Bates. It is only a few weeks ago a Leeds Utd. supporting friend sent me a text saying Bates had gone mad, he was demanding promotion from the manager and at the same time selling any player with the remotest bit of talent. That is neither honourable or honest.

At this stage I fear we will be relegated this season. I personally remain loyal to Mick McCarthy and would like to acknowledge all he has done for the club. Steve Morgan and Jeb Moxey are also entitled to our acknowledgement. If the decision is made that a new manager would do better than Mick, I will be disappointed but he will get my support. Retaining that support will be on the basis of what he achieves for Wolverhampton Wanderers AFC.

Good Post

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 19:41
Good post WIL but I'm guessing you weren't there last night and witnessed the $$$$ we had to sit through?

Words cannot express how bad it was, even NWW has turned to the dark side

It was bad but who knows NWW may turn back yet :D

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 19:43

Great post, well put and agree with most of your points

wolf97
01-02-2012, 19:48

Good points well made, although I do not agree with all of them. Good post.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 20:31
It is unfortunate that football is run on debt and it may be that the whole edifice will collapse like a pack of cards........but so far it hasn't and with the exception of a few, very badly run and unlucky clubs, everyone seems to be going on their merry way.

Now maybe Morgan and I presume Moxey have decided not to join in the mad charge to the poorhouse............but it's a gamble, as they seem to be on their own.

If the gamble comes off, we will be sitting pretty as the only club with any money, but if it doesn't come off we'll could be heading back to being a perpetual lower division club again.
Sitting smug with our profits at the end of every season....bit like Poorsall!

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 20:37
It is unfortunate that football is run on debt and it may be that the whole edifice will collapse like a pack of cards........but so far it hasn't and with the exception of a few, very badly run and unlucky clubs, everyone seems to be going on their merry way.

Now maybe Morgan and I presume Moxey have decided not to join in the mad charge to the poorhouse............but it's a gamble, as they seem to be on their own.

If the gamble comes off, we will be sitting pretty as the only club with any money, but if it doesn't come off we'll could be heading back to being a perpetual lower division club again.
Sitting smug with our profits at the end of every season....bit like Poorsall!

But even in the premier league there are well run clubs above us so how will we be sitting pretty?

All this $$$$$$$$ about the fair spending policy for clubs is just that.

Spurs have said today they are close to sealing a £400m deal for naming rights for their stadium just like man city have already done. Man Utd now have a different sponsor for their track suits ffs.

UEAwolf
01-02-2012, 20:42
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/01/steve-morgan-wolves

Numpty
01-02-2012, 20:51
It's great to hear , these players and staff earn a lot of money. They are not performing . Lose at the weekend then surely we have to get rid of Mick . People can say who do we get in but at the end of the day it can't carry on like this. Hopefully this will kick them up the ar@@ for the weekend and we can get three points.

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 21:00
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/01/steve-morgan-wolves

Hah! So McCarthy was there as well! I think the resignation rumour must be BS.

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 21:02
Discussing wolves on sky

Mersey says don't panic

Philip says no one will do better and were being harsh

Charlie west brom is sort of a derby and who's going to take the job anyway

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:03
it was obvious that after the calls for Mick to go had been falling on deaf ears than the fans would turn their fire on Morgan. It's having an effect.

Indeed, it was after Jonathan Hayward got abuse at Barnsley that "the rich mans son" got rid of Taylor. They get into it for the adulation not to be verbally abused. Completely disagree with Morgan going into the dressing room but for Mick, the clock is definitely ticking.

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:05
Hah! So McCarthy was there as well! I think the resignation rumour must be BS.

The fact he was there is what makes me believe it is true.

Numpty
01-02-2012, 21:07
I can see him walking if we lose badly to QPR.

kidder_wolf_II
01-02-2012, 21:08
I can see him walking if we lose badly to QPR.

He won't walk trust me

Big Saft Kid
01-02-2012, 21:11
The fact he was there is what makes me believe it is true.

Why? I could only understand it if Mick felt he'd gone behind his back. But he didn't -- presumably because he wanted Mick to hear what he felt about the performance and know exactly what he said to the players. It sounds to me like he was blaming the whole performance on the 11 on the pitch, not Mick.

Wednesbury Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:14
Unfortunately when JH handed the club over to a multi millionaire he picked one that does not seem to want to put his hand in his pocket.

AndyP
01-02-2012, 21:17
Unfortunately when JH handed the club over to a multi millionaire he picked one that does not seem to want to put his hand in his pocket.

How do you know more money has not been available to Mick since the end of last season??

Wednesbury Wolf
01-02-2012, 21:19
How do you know more money has not been available to Mick since the end of last season??

Do you really think if Mick had any considerable money he wouldn't have spent it.

Akaman
01-02-2012, 21:21

he might've wanted to spell McCarthy out but after the first "m" and "c" realised he wouldn't have fitted it all on so squeezed an "a" into the middle:D

Small pocket in S3 were chanting "McCarthy must go" at the end of the match

306NOTOUT
01-02-2012, 21:24
They showed the lads with the banner on SSN earlier, at first look I thought it was Burton

Akaman
01-02-2012, 21:24
Do you really think if Mick had any considerable money he wouldn't have spent it.

If I was Morgan, McCarthy would be told to get on with it with whatever he's wasted my forty-odd million on since promotion.*

*actually he'd have been sacked before the Sunderland win

Poztin
01-02-2012, 21:25

No he's decided to run the club like a business and has been clear about that from the beginning, so where is the sudden surprise?

Let's say he did delve into his pocket to sign one or two more quality players, and we stayed up, do you think the fans would say "ok that was great Morgan, that'll do for now".

Course they wouldn't. Anything but progress is failure to football fans. Next it would be he needs to splash x amount to push us into Europe.

He's trying to run the club in a sensible, self sufficient manner, and fair play to him I say.

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 21:27
If we lose against the Boggies we will be chanting "McCarthy must go" in The Billy Quiet!

It's not quite as peaceful in the Posh Stand as you poor people in the other stands think!

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:29
Why? I could only understand it if Mick felt he'd gone behind his back. But he didn't -- presumably because he wanted Mick to hear what he felt about the performance and know exactly what he said to the players. It sounds to me like he was blaming the whole performance on the 11 on the pitch, not Mick.

As a manager, your boss should speak to you about poor performance of your team. If the boss calls you all together and gives you the hair dryer, that is pretty much saying the manager is also not doing his job. That undermines the manager. On that basis I would expect a proud man like Mick to say "if you want to do my job as well....then I am off". Basic management theory.

WonderWolf
01-02-2012, 21:33
As a manager, your boss should speak to you about poor performance of your team. If the boss calls you all together and gives you the hair dryer, that is pretty much saying the manager is also not doing his job. That undermines the manager. On that basis I would expect a proud man like Mick to say "if you want to do my job as well....then I am off". Basic management theory.

But he won't because: http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2595911,00.html (http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307%7E2595911,00.html)

He agrees.

Apocalypse Now
01-02-2012, 21:42
He has to agree it is common knowledge his boss is very unhappy about the performance. And let's be honest, he could hardly say anything else after that debacle could he.

To be honest I am struggling to understand why people can't grasp this.

WonderWolf
01-02-2012, 21:47
He has to agree it is common knowledge his boss is very unhappy about the performance. And let's be honest, he could hardly say anything else after that debacle could he.

Morgan has rightly made his view known...let's see what happens next...

Rhoswolf
01-02-2012, 22:29

So why last night, been plenty of other opportunties this season when performances have been just as dire?

Maybe it was the final straw, maybe it was because, for the first time, the crowd aimed some vitriol at him, or could it possibly be that he was embarassed in front of his Liverpool "buddies"? Who knows, I certainly don't, but can't say I blame him!

Wagstaffe Was Magic
01-02-2012, 22:34
I would like to compliment Wolves in Limerick for his excellent post which echoes my own feelings.

haden-wolf
02-02-2012, 08:44
If the baggies beat us imho he will go by mutual consent - the board have lost faith in him from what i have heard through a pretty reliable source and it's a matter of time now, not if just when

Monkey Man
02-02-2012, 09:17
Morgan doing this was a terrible idea, undermines MM and just makes himself look like a fool. He should have called a meeting this week with the players and spoke to them. Shouting after a game is embarrassing and I'd imagine the players felt the same.

Start of a rocky road, would you want to come here now if you were a player or manager?

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 09:25
Morgan doing this was a terrible idea, undermines MM and just makes himself look like a fool. He should have called a meeting this week with the players and spoke to them. Shouting after a game is embarrassing and I'd imagine the players felt the same.

Start of a rocky road, would you want to come here now if you were a player or manager?

Morgan has his faults, but unlike many other Chairmen, he doesn't interfere, but generally leaves it to the manager. I see nothing wrong in what he has done, the players needed telling-no doubt Mick gave them a $$$$$$$ing and there is no harm in them getting a second one, to make them pull their bloody fingers out!

Big Mack
02-02-2012, 09:33
Morgan has his faults, but unlike many other Chairmen, he doesn't interfere, but generally leaves it to the manager.

Yet if the Guardian are to be believed he often goes into the dressing room to give the team a 'motivational speech'. That line made me wonder just how much he does interfere.

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 09:49
If the baggies beat us imho he will go by mutual consent - the board have lost faith in him from what i have heard through a pretty reliable source and it's a matter of time now, not if just when

I agree and I am sure that will be the case, albeit it might be too late. Having said that, I have a feeling we might beat the Baggies and get something at QPR!

wolf of sedgley
02-02-2012, 09:55
Yet if the Guardian are to be believed he often goes into the dressing room to give the team a 'motivational speech'. That line made me wonder just how much he does interfere.

Not a lot.

BlahBlah
02-02-2012, 10:02
Don't think that is part of his role and if he did do that it further undermines a manager who looks more and more like a dead man walking. Decisive action earlier in the season would have avoided such an unsightly episode.

it worked before for SJH and Dave Jones's team that Xmas in 2002...21 games unbeaten and a promotion.
Morgan's got every right....he wants to beat Liverpool, not roll over.
Players can get comfy with a boss, sometimes they need to know that there's somebody above that level.

WonderWolf
02-02-2012, 10:07
I would not call Morgan's action as interfering at all.

It is his business and he is the 'top boss'.....sometimes things go stale with the relationship between players and coach and nothing seems to come off...in that situation a 'bolt out of the blue' can help to freshen it up.

Shergar
02-02-2012, 10:10
Jonathan Hayward did the same thing after the Portsmouth game and then sacked Turner, the players knew then it was over for their gaffer.

I wonder what look/signs the players read off McCarthy at the Chairman's intervention?

ice cream head
02-02-2012, 10:45
Just re watched the BBC interview and it's obviously after Morgan's rant as MM's showered and has his suit on.

He was asked;

"Can you understand the fans reaction?"

" Fully understood. Unacceptable. As I said for the last 35 mins it looked like the players werent trying but i'm not having that said by anybody. They're a great bunch of lads and they give everything for me, for the fans, for everybody. It was down to me, the way I set the team up that last 35 minutes. I wasnt going to leave it 4-5-1 and lose 2-0 as that would also be unacceptable."

I think we can gather from that what Morgan may have said to them.

North West Wanderer
02-02-2012, 10:48
Good spot fella

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 10:53
Just re watched the BBC interview and it's obviously after Morgan's rant as MM's showered and has his suit on.

He was asked;

"Can you understand the fans reaction?"

" Fully understood. Unacceptable. As I said for the last 35 mins it looked like the players werent trying but i'm not having that said by anybody. They're a great bunch of lads and they give everything for me, for the fans, for everybody. It was down to me, the way I set the team up that last 35 minutes. I wasnt going to leave it 4-5-1 and lose 2-0 as that would also be unacceptable."

I think we can gather from that what Morgan may have said to them.

You may be righht there, it will be interesting to see the teams reaction against QPR

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 11:10
Good spot fella

Indeed it is!

goldeneyed
02-02-2012, 12:24
At least Morgan is showing a bit of passion. God knows McCarthy and the players need a shot up the you know where! We will see on Saturday if it has had any affect.

Telf
02-02-2012, 18:28
http://www.footydaft.com/footballnews/3837-if_you_cant_do_it_i_will.html

WV8 Wolf
02-02-2012, 18:31
I would not call Morgan's action as interfering at all.

It is his business and he is the 'top boss'.....sometimes things go stale with the relationship between players and coach and nothing seems to come off...in that situation a 'bolt out of the blue' can help to freshen it up.

Couldnt put it better myself

Taffywolf
02-02-2012, 18:42
Mick says he's not having that said about his players well bit late the owner has said it and you can't do anything about it!!

SimplyTheWolves
02-02-2012, 18:54
What we wouldn't give to be in Morgan shoe's. No matter what people may think, Morgan has every right to do what he did, he is the person that pays all their wages. I know it isn't his job, or he is in some respects morally wrong to undermine MM in doing what he did, but if you employ anyone to do a job then ultimately your entitled to have your say when things need saying.

Maybe he should put a word in before each match just to let the players realise that your not here because you are the important one, your being paid to play to the best of your ability, and if you don't then you may as well pack your bags now.

Like I said, if we were in Morgan shoe's, I'm sure the players would by now know exactly where they stand, I hope Morgan has got his, and our message across. The QPR match will no doubt tell us.

Tettenhall Wolf
02-02-2012, 18:59
What we wouldn't give to be in Morgan shoe's. No matter what people may think, Morgan has every right to do what he did, he is the person that pays all their wages. I know it isn't his job, or he is in some respects morally wrong to undermine MM in doing what he did, but if you employ anyone to do a job then ultimately your entitled to have your say when things need saying.

Maybe he should put a word in before each match just to let the players realise that your not here because you are the important one, your being paid to play to the best of your ability, and if you don't then you may as well pack your bags now.

Like I said, if we were in Morgan shoe's, I'm sure the players would by now know exactly where they stand, I hope Morgan has got his, and our message across. The QPR match will no doubt tell us.

Exactly and also importantly our next home game too. Can't reber who we are playing.......

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 19:01
Exactly and also importantly our next home game too. Can't reber who we are playing.......

I bet you can......

SimplyTheWolves
02-02-2012, 19:09
Can't reber who we are playing.......

Go and lay down Tettenhall Wolf, it's clearly effecting you more than most! Now remember, you support a team called The Albion, remember, remember, remember....

:p

Hatch End
02-02-2012, 20:00
I think that it means, at last, that the penny has dropped for Morgan.
Mick could be on his way soon..........but it will be too late.

Morgan may have felt that being humiliated by fans ( even in the Billy Quiet! ) was the final straw and that he doesn't want to suffer it again.
Unfortunately shouting at the players was a waste of time. They play to orders and unless he can persuade Mick to change his tactics they will carry on the same way next game!

yateleywolf
02-02-2012, 20:30
SM can shout at the players as much as he likes but it won`t make any difference.
He is only just starting to realise how bad this season has been when he starts to feel some of the heat.

Hopefully the only thing it signifies is that he may start to make his own decisions than take the ear of Moxey.

luckyjim
02-02-2012, 20:39
I'm told the first line of Morgans tirade against the players was "Let's be havin' you...."

SourCream&OnionUtd
02-02-2012, 21:51
You know, I go back to Dalglish's scathing public tirade aimed at his players after the Bolton loss nearly two weeks ago. And now we see the manner in which they've responded. Clearly, it's had the desired effect.

And I can't help but think that Morgan's seen that, and thought to himself, "if Mick won't give the players a public dressing down, then I'll go in there and do it myself."

And whether it is destabilising or not, time will tell. But I certainly can't fault Morgan for taking the matter into his own hands.

Wolv3nsam
02-02-2012, 21:56
You know, I go back to Dalglish's scathing public tirade aimed at his players after the Bolton loss nearly two weeks ago. And now we see the manner in which they've responded. Clearly, it's had the desired effect.

And I can't help but think that Morgan's seen that, and thought to himself, "if Mick won't give the players a public dressing down, then I'll go in there and do it myself."

And whether it is destabilising or not, time will tell. But I certainly can't fault Morgan for taking the matter into his own hands.

I doubt McCarthy stands there and gives them all a pat on the head, a hand shake and a "nice try lads" when they've lost, god no. I'm sure they've had plenty of rockets from him over the last two months. I think Morgan's actions scream of a man who is desperate not to get rid of someone who he believes to be the right man, but with the fans quickly turning on him he'll soon be left with no choice.

SourCream&OnionUtd
02-02-2012, 22:01
I doubt McCarthy stands there and gives them all a pat on the head, a hand shake and a "nice try lads" when they've lost, god no. I'm sure they've had plenty of rockets from him over the last two months. I think Morgan's actions scream of a man who is desperate not to get rid of someone who he believes to be the right man, but with the fans quickly turning on him he'll soon be left with no choice.

Don't disagree with your points at all. But that wasn't what I was suggesting necessarily. I was referring to the fact that Mick of late and generally overall backs his squad to the hilt after matches whatever the result. I'm sure perhaps it's happened before, but I can't remember MM having a go at his players publicly, certainly not in the manner Dalglish did a few weeks ago. In any case, I think you've hit nail on head re: Morgan.

JR's Boots
03-02-2012, 09:10
We can be angry at the shambles this season has become but we can't alter anything. Morgan doesn't need to shout and rage as he is the only one with the power to change things. He should have calmly told Mick and Terry that their tenure was over and got on with appointing someone who could galvanise this misfiring team.

JOSWolf
03-02-2012, 09:25
McCarthy's pre match press conference should be interesting today as the journos there are bound to ask him about this story.

North West Wanderer
03-02-2012, 09:42

Oh come on give Mick some
Credit

North West Wanderer
03-02-2012, 09:44
i think if morgan has done this mick would have launched an attack back as they are his players and he is the manager, if morgan has a problem he should $$$$$$$ mick in private, lay down the law, stay up or job is gone, mick should then tear into the players and tell them how it is. if hes offered his resignation i bet it will be because he was upset at being shown up in front of the players

I agree and for Johnson to come straight out the next day in support says a lot

Edgmond Wolf
03-02-2012, 09:52
Oh come on give Mick some
Credit

Dont be silly man, there only only a few of us on here give him credit and we then get tarred as Happy Clappers.

Personally I will be ever grateful to Mick McCarthy for putting pride back into our great club. From a bare bones squad, Mick has built up a squad of young and hungry players that play for the shirt and have produced exciting football to get us promoted as Champions to the promised land.

He has taken those same youngsters and added some Premier League experience that has kept us up in the promised land for two seasons. We have fifteen games left and with a little bit more luck, a little bit more skill (Hopefully from the 'ongs) it might be enough to survive again.

I hope Mick does the impossible and keeps us up again and brings the improvement that we all desire. I will stick with him. Its his team, and right now we need to remember its also OUR team

Come on the Wolves

Oldgold Wolfcub
03-02-2012, 10:36
So Edgmond are you happy then to have a manager so unpopular and not wanted?

Edgmond Wolf
03-02-2012, 10:43
So Edgmond are you happy then to have a manager so unpopular and not wanted?

If we were going to change the manager the time to do this was early december to give a new manager time to see the squad and then get players in during January.

We have passed that point

I am not happy with the way we are playing, far from it. The game against Villa showed the good (1st half) and the bad (The result). I left that game thinking for the FIRST time that we may get relegated.

The Liverpool game followed the same pattern. A good first half followed by a diabolical second half. I left that game numb to be honest. I thought that we would be relegated.

We have fifteen cup finals to save our season. I think Mick McCarthy has the best chance of doing this. He has been here before with the same set of players. They are his players and they do play for him. He gets the best out of the players in fact the last two seasons they have played above their levels. We need to do it again. I repeat he his the best manager with this group of players in this situation that we have.

We have to get behind the team come what may. We have to stick by the team come what may. We have fifteen games to save the season

Come on the Wolves

Stokie in Stafford
03-02-2012, 11:01
How $$$$ed off as a player would you be if a bloke that thought more about improving things off the pitch than on then rips you a new one for playing badly?
You have the same problem as us as in some of your players are just not Prem standard. Their shortfalls bring the rest of the team down with mistakes or just being outclassed. As a player they are not going to be happy being ripped by a bloke that has never played the game and has watched them go backwards due to lack of investment on the pitch. You players heads may be further down and players like ping pong may be wondering what the hell they have walked into.
MM will not take to kindly to being undermined either as he made clear in his post match interview.

SimplyTheWolves
03-02-2012, 11:20
How $$$$ed off as a player would you be if a bloke that thought more about improving things off the pitch than on then rips you a new one for playing badly?
You have the same problem as us as in some of your players are just not Prem standard. Their shortfalls bring the rest of the team down with mistakes or just being outclassed. As a player they are not going to be happy being ripped by a bloke that has never played the game and has watched them go backwards due to lack of investment on the pitch. You players heads may be further down and players like ping pong may be wondering what the hell they have walked into.
MM will not take to kindly to being undermined either as he made clear in his post match interview.

Just because the chairman hasn't played the game doesn’t stop him having his say when he feels it's warranted. You may as well say we can't criticise our players because we’ve never played the game! The players may not have liked it, but I'm sure they respected his right to say what he said.

FLEET WOLF
03-02-2012, 12:18
If we were going to change the manager the time to do this was early december to give a new manager time to see the squad and then get players in during January.

We have passed that point

I am not happy with the way we are playing, far from it. The game against Villa showed the good (1st half) and the bad (The result). I left that game thinking for the FIRST time that we may get relegated.

The Liverpool game followed the same pattern. A good first half followed by a diabolical second half. I left that game numb to be honest. I thought that we would be relegated.

We have fifteen cup finals to save our season. I think Mick McCarthy has the best chance of doing this. He has been here before with the same set of players. They are his players and they do play for him. He gets the best out of the players in fact the last two seasons they have played above their levels. We need to do it again. I repeat he his the best manager with this group of players in this situation that we have.

We have to get behind the team come what may. We have to stick by the team come what may. We have fifteen games to save the season

Come on the Wolves

Spot on that. It is now too late to sack the manager. However, I still think he might go if we lose to QPR and then badly at home to Albion. If that happens, it is possible that someone could come in and turn our season around, just, but the chances are that he would probably do no better, overall, than Mick.

Oldgold Wolfcub
03-02-2012, 12:39
Just because the chairman hasn't played the game doesn’t stop him having his say when he feels it's warranted. You may as well say we can't criticise our players because we’ve never played the game! The players may not have liked it, but I'm sure they respected his right to say what he said.
We can say what we like because we will have virtually no influence on the team. They also will or should be able to shrug it off as just fans banter.
However Morgan is in a position to reach them directly or indirectly. The last thing they need is another person coming in and ripping them apart. If Morgan is to have any influence it must be positive if we are to stand any chance of this bunch performing effectively. The players are not stupid and know that they are playing poorly - they dont need to be told that by a Liverpool supporting builder.
Morgan should realise that the people that most influence the team are the manager and his staff. By doing what he did Morgan is admitting that his management team are not up to it.
The only positive thing about what he did is that it is showing an open rift between him and the manager. My fear though is that Moxey and Morgan have not got a clue about football and spotting a good management team. Is Howard Wilkinson still about.:rolleyes:

purplepault69
03-02-2012, 12:42
Does anyone actually KNOW what was said by SM or is it another case of 2+2 = 5 Mol Mix syndrome ??

JOSWolf
03-02-2012, 12:47
Moxey makes appeal for unity in the express and star today.

Paul76
03-02-2012, 12:52
Moxey makes appeal for unity in the express and star today.

Unless the team starting showing a bit of fight, they won't get it.

JOSWolf
03-02-2012, 12:55
Unless the team starting showing a bit of fight, they won't get it.

I agree. Actions speak louder than words.

Golden Arrow
03-02-2012, 13:03
A rallying cry indeed from our CEO, and reminiscent of a prime minister at the time of war.
Co-incidentally. there's an advert for "Churchill" insurance right underneath!

JOSWolf
03-02-2012, 13:05
Just tweeted on official site twitter that McCarthy and Morgan have spoken since the said incident and everything is alright! We'll see!

Paul76
03-02-2012, 13:09
I wonder what makes Jez think this rallying cry will work? The only thing that can stop this rot is the team its self. They're the ones who need to make something happen.

There's no point coming out and asking for unity and 100% total support when the team simply fail to turn up and concede goals in the first 10 minutes of a match.

SimplyTheWolves
03-02-2012, 14:05
We can say what we like because we will have virtually no influence on the team. They also will or should be able to shrug it off as just fans banter.
However Morgan is in a position to reach them directly or indirectly. The last thing they need is another person coming in and ripping them apart. If Morgan is to have any influence it must be positive if we are to stand any chance of this bunch performing effectively. The players are not stupid and know that they are playing poorly - they dont need to be told that by a Liverpool supporting builder.
Morgan should realise that the people that most influence the team are the manager and his staff. By doing what he did Morgan is admitting that his management team are not up to it.
The only positive thing about what he did is that it is showing an open rift between him and the manager. My fear though is that Moxey and Morgan have not got a clue about football and spotting a good management team. Is Howard Wilkinson still about.:rolleyes:

People keep asking Morgan to do something about our situation, and when he does people put him down for doing so. I know the manager is ultimately responsible for the players actions, and I agree it may of had a diverse effect, but lets be honest it can't get any worse, just how much of a diverse effect can it create in a situation like ours. You can also look at it and say it may ultimately produce the opposite and have a positive effect, only time will tell.

I agree that Morgans actions may be perceived as him admitting his management team aren't up to the job, but none of us know exactly what was said in the dressing room, so we can't be sure of anything. Morgan is no different to us, we’ve all got a breaking point, and he obviously reached his after the match. Some of us wouldn't have done what he did, but I'm sure most of us would have if we were in a position to do so.

Edgmond Wolf
03-02-2012, 14:14
People keep asking Morgan to do something about our situation, and when he does people put him down for doing so. I know the manager is ultimately responsible for the players actions, and I agree it may of had a diverse effect, but lets be honest it can't get any worse, just how much of a diverse effect can it create in a situation like ours. You can also look at it and say it may ultimately produce the opposite and have a positive effect, only time will tell.

I agree that Morgans actions may be perceived as him admitting his management team aren't up to the job, but none of us know exactly what was said in the dressing room, so we can't be sure of anything. Morgan is no different to us, we’ve all got a breaking point, and he obviously reached his after the match. Some of us wouldn't have done what he did, but I'm sure most of us would have if we were in a position to do so.

I think he has been patient, frankly he is the ultimate figure head and who knows he may have done it in a way to support Mick. He may have said you are letting Mick down, Me down, the club down and the supporters down....

SimplyTheWolves
03-02-2012, 14:24
I think he has been patient, frankly he is the ultimate figure head and who knows he may have done it in a way to support Mick. He may have said you are letting Mick down, Me down, the club down and the supporters down....

It's quite possible Edgmond, I don’t think we'll ever know exactly what he said.

Bostin
03-02-2012, 14:26
Just tweeted on official site twitter that McCarthy and Morgan have spoken since the said incident and everything is alright! We'll see!

Mick doesn't seem impressed judging by these quotes

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/02/03/mick-upset-by-steve-morgans-dressing-down/

Edgmond Wolf
03-02-2012, 14:32

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/02/03/mick-upset-by-steve-morgans-dressing-down/

Had not seen that so yes Mick clearly not happy about it

DEVIZESWOLVES
03-02-2012, 14:32

After reading that, IMO he'll be gone Sunday morning if we dont win....

MonkeySpanner
03-02-2012, 14:37
Micks days are done but I don't think it will be till the end of the season UNLESS Mr. Morgan has a blinder of a manager already lined up, which I doubt.

Oh, and rumours are Rapha could possibly be going back to Madrid, thank God!

Monkey Man
03-02-2012, 14:39
Ouch, didn't expect him to be so honest.

Gone by Monday if we lose I think.

Bruce in for the derby? :eek:

MonkeySpanner
03-02-2012, 14:43

Please God no.

JOSWolf
03-02-2012, 14:48

I'm afraid McCarthy is speaking bull$$$$ there. If he thinks that second half against Liverpool along with other performances this season was the players doing their best then God help us!
I notice he also brings up the ' I have no magic formula' quote again. Well you better find some sort of magic formular soon Mick or we will be down!

SimplyTheWolves
03-02-2012, 14:52
I must admit, it doesn’t appear as though the atmosphere around Molineux is one of complete contentment. Lets hope we win against QPR to give us all some much needed confidence.

Edgmond Wolf
03-02-2012, 14:58
I must admit, it doesn’t appear as though the atmosphere around Molineux is one of complete contentment. Lets hope we win against QPR to give us all some much needed confidence.

It was OK first half, not noisy like with the Villa but OK with normal chants

Second half was poor, quiet, mirroring what was on the pitch. Some chants of where Morgan could stick his houses, some grumbles at Mick from a few pockets nothing major but definately grumbles.

At the final whistle approx 50% of fans had already left, there were booing aimed at Mick and the players for a half hearted performance. Again anger displayed at Mick but again just pockets.

Lets hope we get some points at QPR!!!!!

FLEET WOLF
03-02-2012, 15:06
It was OK first half, not noisy like with the Villa but OK with normal chants

Second half was poor, quiet, mirroring what was on the pitch. Some chants of where Morgan could stick his houses, some grumbles at Mick from a few pockets nothing major but definately grumbles.

At the final whistle approx 50% of fans had already left, there were booing aimed at Mick and the players for a half hearted performance. Again anger displayed at Mick but again just pockets.

Lets hope we get some points at QPR!!!!!

I would take 1 point right now and hope that some other results go our way a bit.

Edgmond Wolf
03-02-2012, 15:08
I would take 1 point right now and hope that some other results go our way a bit.

So would I right now, it would also give us time to bed in bassong before the Baggies game so yes I would take a point right now away from home

Chiswick_Wolf
03-02-2012, 15:09
Only time will tell. This could be brilliant "management" from Morgan. He's given Mick (as far as we know) pretty much free reign to do what he wants/ how he wants with the team - with no interference and rarely a comment to the press. Maybe the players (and Mick in particular) needed that little kick up the jacksy to get there a**es into gear.

We'll just have to see if this brings out fighting spirit or has destroyed the dressing room. Interesting though.

FLEET WOLF
03-02-2012, 15:10

I think if we got a hammering at QPR, he could go. The worry is that they have lots of new players in front of their home crowd and the atmosphere will be good, knowing that if they beat us, it draws them away from the bottom and puts us well and truly in it! It's a funny old game though football!

O.W.E.I
03-02-2012, 15:25
It's a funny old game though football!

Oddly, I don't usually leave the Mol in fits of laughter...:eek:

Shergar
03-02-2012, 15:49

Wonder if Mick called him a numpty and offered to fight him?

FLEET WOLF
03-02-2012, 17:07
Wonder if Mick called him a numpty and offered to fight him?

Quite possibly. I suppose Morgan was particularly $$$$ed off because we were so poor in front of his beloved Liverpool. Presumably he was sitting on his hands and trying not to celebrate their goals and he was probably so frustrated at not being able to celebrate with his fellow scousers at the end, that he took it out on the Wolves players.

Oldgold Wolfcub
03-02-2012, 19:49
wonder if mick called him a numpty and offered to fight him?
...:d:d

Marauding Wolf
03-02-2012, 20:51

I do think Mick should be replaced now, as the players just don't seem able to respond and he's lost the fans which is creating a more difficult atmosphere.

But is this really 'the word for word' masterplan template we should be following? How the $$$$ is after the closing of the transfer window the time to make a change? The time to make a change is surely at least a month before the window starts so the new 'team' can assess what they've got and look to do some deals (or at least threaten to do some deals).

Apart from some real pace up top, which I think would have made a real difference (and not signing an SPL utility man) I think Mick did ok in January window. I just think the grim reality is we're not quite good enough from 1 to 11. Hennessey is one of out better players and yet I still think a top prem keeper turns that first Robbie Keane goal round the post.

Netherton Wolf
03-02-2012, 23:27
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2096191/Mick-McCarthy-warns-Steve-Morgan-Wolves-rant.html?ITO=1490

UEAwolf
03-02-2012, 23:29
Sounds like a feigned siege mentality.

Toon Wolf
03-02-2012, 23:47
McCarthy should be sacked just for uttering the words 'putting in a shift' again. That's all your team does Mick. Without it they've got $$$$ all. And that's what is showing in the league table.

Tettenhall Wolf
04-02-2012, 08:50
Go and lay down Tettenhall Wolf, it's clearly effecting you more than most! Now remember, you support a team called The Albion, remember, remember, remember....

:p

Ouch. Words can be so cruel sometimes ;-)

Tettenhall Wolf
04-02-2012, 09:02
I'm wouldn't be surprised if Mr Morgan got Jez to leak this out to put the pressure back on mick and the team, and away from him.

It's the first time Steve Morgan has really shown some reaction this season. Well overdue, but Clearly he did not like the abuse he got.

Well unless we get the right reaction against QPR today and the baggies next week, it's going to get a whole lot worse for him.

Personally i think we have got to the 'untenable' stage.

I'd rather have our cat pick the team to be honest.