PDA

View Full Version : An effective European Scouting Network

Bumbamuffin
01-02-2012, 10:24
...should be a given for a P/L club of our size shouldn't it?

Instead,we appear to be limited to buying from a small pool of players in the UK where getting value for money will always be more difficult.

Whenever we venture into Europe,we end up with the likes of Zubar,Guediora,Mujangi-Bia and Milijas who will only ever be 'bit part' players at best.That's because we only play at it IMO.

One of the first things that needs to be done under a new manager is a complete overhaul of our scouting set up.

Getting the nod from Taff is simply not good enough anymore.

UEAwolf
01-02-2012, 10:25
Mick has said himself that he would not sign anyone from outside the EPL/SPL - in January at least - as it takes them too much time to adjust.

It's not the scouting team's fault.

Bumbamuffin
01-02-2012, 10:35
What about the other 5 Windows since we went up?!

UEAwolf
01-02-2012, 10:44
Unfortunatly, we're shopping in Aldi. This means that there are times when we can pick up something decent at a good price - Zubar, Milijas etc. But often it's crap - Maierhoffer.

Whilst there are occasions when a bargain can be found - Tiote/Mulumbu - these are few and far between unless you're willing to pay serious money. I do think that MicK (rightly or wrongly) is more sceptical and less willing to take a chance on foreign based players. Particularly after the Van Damme situation.

Shergar
01-02-2012, 10:56
Agreed. A European network should be a given for a Prem club.
But the jolly boys club wouldn't dare ask questions of each other over Maierhofer, Van Damme, Mjangi, Milijas etc.. Even the one foreigner we sign from a UK club (Mouyokolo) has to **** off back to France because he can't hack it, after previously doing so.
And now it seems like our scout has a holiday home north of the border to enable him to keep an eye on skint Scottish clubs.

Serious, serious questions and culpability should arise on this issue - but because of the protectionism between the 3M's, I very much doubt it even gets minuted.

Bostin
01-02-2012, 11:04
I've said this SO many times.

Munich_Wolf
01-02-2012, 11:14
It's been known for what 10 or 15 years that UK/IE players come at a higher price than there European counterparts hence the massive influx of foreign players during that time. In many ways I admire our primarily british approach but you can't do that on the cheap, transfers and wages are simply higher. For Mick and the club to simply reject foreign signings because "they take to long to settle" is gross neglegence.