PDA

View Full Version : Some things are getting better

The Eternal Flame
01-02-2012, 08:58
Is it me, but prior to conceding the 3 goals yesterday, we played some of the best football I've seen us play all season. No checking back at critical moments, no hoof ball, lots of tidy pass and move, wingers and midfield running at players etc. We matched Liverpool comfortably for long periods. We had a purple patch for 25/30 minutes against Villa also. Just a pity we have such a poor ball watching defence who would struggle to read a comic let alone a game of football and undo everything that has been achieved elsewhere on the pitch.

TheRetroChief
01-02-2012, 08:59
Are you sure you were at the Wolves match? Absolute cobblers.
There were two good moves I can remember all game. And plenty of hoofball before and after the goals

JOSWolf
01-02-2012, 09:02
I'm sorry but there were no positives yesterday. We were terrible.

Tosh
01-02-2012, 09:05
We are not far off you know. As frustrating as it seems we really arent as bad some people think we are.

Couple of nice loan additions that we havent had to pay over the odds for to strengthen things up.

Do you think we would have been any happier had we spent 10 million (not including wages) on Cisse and Zamora with a combined age of 62 and no resale value?

Zamora 20 goals in 91 prem games and Cisse who only scored 1 in 12 games at his previous club and well underperformed when last in the Prem at a decent Liverpool side. They have been well and truly had!

A few permanent signings would have given a bit of a perk up but we really arent far off and could by some miracle stay up at the end of all this. Stranger things have happened.....

Big Mack
01-02-2012, 09:06
Thought we were poor throughout too.

Mark Rankines Lovechild
01-02-2012, 09:08
I remember two good moves, the best of which was interplay between Kightly and Fletcher and Kightly's shot past the post. Other than that, little passes in our own half until the point where (usually Berra) we were closed down and then hopefully punted it upfield or passed back to Hennessey for the old heave ho...
Football going nowhere.

Sedgers
01-02-2012, 09:21
You know, I've hated the way we've played football since we've been in the Greed League. But despite the fact we are losing, I do think the football has improved slightly since Christmas. I think I must be going mad...

Munich_Wolf
01-02-2012, 09:24
I can't believe I'm still reading this kind of stuff. What next, a thread titled "if we play like those 20 minutes for the rest of the season we'll stay up"?

Relegation has been on the cards since October. Since then we've looked at best like a plucky non-league side having a nice jaunt out in the FA Cup, at worse like a pub team after a night out on the lash. Not since August have we had two or three games strung together where we look like a team who actually deserves to be playing in the Premier League.

Morgan needs to act today and sack Mick. I'll be even more gutted if we're relegated by 2 or 3 points, when even a crap managers "honeymoon period" might see us safe.

tiggerkev
01-02-2012, 09:30
I think the move that summed it all up for me was, we had the ball just outside the Liverpool box (Foley) I think then within 3/4 passes it was going back to the keeper.

We have no idea how to create space.

JW
01-02-2012, 09:31
Dont know what game you were watching mate. From kick off passing it back to Hennessey we were $$$$. Then no players taking responsibility to go forward

Big George
01-02-2012, 09:32
Best football all season? $$$$ me, god help us on a bad day then!

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 09:32
we did some ok stuff in the 1st half but liverpool looked like scoring everytime they went forward

Redditch Wolves
01-02-2012, 09:33
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha we were $$$$ing horrendous!!

greco wolf
01-02-2012, 10:19
we were poor

Carrol is a donkey - we made him look a decent CF

Shergar
01-02-2012, 10:32
Yea, that one move, where we errm?
Pass it back to Hennessey from the kick off ( to presumably allow our midfielders, who must be really slow, to get over the half way) who then punts it into the quadrant of the field where Fletcher is, Fletcher then has to make a desperate check of his movement and position himself in the general landing area, because the outnumbering defenders are already positioned they proceed to win/head/chest the ball to a team mate and regain possession, meanwhile Fletcher's energy levels are getting sapped as he rubs his head from yet another worthless endeavour. Repeat as many times per game as necessary.

Anti-football - fkn brilliant.:mad:

Strats
01-02-2012, 10:33
Is it me, but prior to conceding the 3 goals yesterday, we played some of the best football I've seen us play all season. No checking back at critical moments, no hoof ball, lots of tidy pass and move, wingers and midfield running at players etc. We matched Liverpool comfortably for long periods. We had a purple patch for 25/30 minutes against Villa also. Just a pity we have such a poor ball watching defence who would struggle to read a comic let alone a game of football and undo everything that has been achieved elsewhere on the pitch.

T'would seem so, yep ... keep taking the medication, it'll kick in soon. :top:

JR's Boots
01-02-2012, 10:38
We were terrible, absolutely dreadful. How you can find any positives from a performance as dumb, predictable and one dimensional is beyond me.

Golden_Wolf
01-02-2012, 10:41
Believe me when I say, it was just you.

OoohRobbieRobbie
01-02-2012, 10:42
What? Some of the best football we've played all season before the 3 goals? You were either not at the game, or haven't watched much of our football this season! We were utterly terrible. Playing the wrong passes, making the wrong decisions, shocking off the ball movement and no creativity whatsoever.

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 10:43

FIRST HALF

First half we did play some decent football, however we were sustepitible (sp) through the middle whenever Liverpool attacked and they certainly had the opportunities in the first half.

Johnson was a clamity and Berra came to his rescue several times in the first half. Foley too looked off form and his first touch was heavy on a number of occasions. Ward played well at LB.

Frimpong looked good with the ball at his feet and didnt panic in possession. Eggert looked like he had stepped up a division or two and looked overall to be off the pace.

Kites and Jarvis were well shackled by two good Liverpool backs and Edwards had lots of energy got in good positions and Fletcher did similiar but both had little end product.

Kites had a shot wide and Fletcher headed over the bar.

Berra and Hennessey combined to keep us in it for the first half

SECOND HALF

We were un done by Bellamys quick thinking and Eggert not man enough for Carroll to score. Bellamy then ran from the half way line with anyone seeming to want to tackle him and slotted it past Hennessey. After that we were $$$$

Akaman
01-02-2012, 10:46
Two good moves all match, one when Kightly shot wide, and one just after SEB hit the post. It doesn't help when the majority of our players have to take a touch before playing a simple pass.

OoohRobbieRobbie
01-02-2012, 10:57
FIRST HALF

First half we did play some decent football, however we were sustepitible (sp) through the middle whenever Liverpool attacked and they certainly had the opportunities in the first half.

Johnson was a clamity and Berra came to his rescue several times in the first half. Foley too looked off form and his first touch was heavy on a number of occasions. Ward played well at LB.

Frimpong looked good with the ball at his feet and didnt panic in possession. Eggert looked like he had stepped up a division or two and looked overall to be off the pace.

Kites and Jarvis were well shackled by two good Liverpool backs and Edwards had lots of energy got in good positions and Fletcher did similiar but both had little end product.

SECOND HALF

We were un done by Bellamys quick thinking and Eggert not man enough for Carroll to score. Bellamy then ran from the half way line with anyone seeming to want to tackle him and slotted it past Hennessey. After that we were $$$$

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that, and some people think he should have played in midfield last night? Not on that form. Foley is a cracking player, but he is not back to his best by a damn long shot yet.

The Eternal Flame
01-02-2012, 11:53
FIRST HALF

SECOND HALF

I agree completely, it just shows how poor we are at the moment that despite all of these issues, it still looks ten times better than the hesitant, hoof ball crap we played before Christmas. My argument is not that we are good, just that in my opinion, many aspects of our play going forward are improving and at times we are starting to look like a footballing side again. You must admit that the televised games before Xmas where completely embarrassing and we were dire but for 25 minutes against Villa and the first half last night where a considerable improvement.

Hawkins discuss
01-02-2012, 12:27
Two good moves all match, one when Kightly shot wide, and one just after SEB hit the post. It doesn't help when the majority of our players have to take a touch before playing a simple pass.
there was another good move at the end of the game
We went to the pub to drown our sorrows

Arcadius
01-02-2012, 12:30
Very poor throughout! Are you sure you were at the Mol last night?