PDA

View Full Version : Who does Bassong Replace.....

MonkeySpanner
01-02-2012, 03:35
In my opinion there is no love or chemestry between Johnson and Berra, but for me Berra has been the most consistent out of the two.

Who do you think should get dropped for Bassong?

BlackBully
01-02-2012, 04:27
If only we could clone him and drop the pair of them.

It has to be Johnson though, he's had more shockers than half decent games.

Vietnam Wolf
01-02-2012, 05:36
One other problem is, like it or not, Johnson is the Captain.

cannockwolves
01-02-2012, 06:26
Johnson has been very poor, getting dragged about all over the place, mistakes left right and centre, no pace - awful!

Berra has been ok most of the time, and I can't think where he has been responsible for many goals the same can't be said about Johnson.

Mugwump
01-02-2012, 06:34
It will be berra. we wont play 2 left footed canter halves.

Timberwolf
01-02-2012, 06:54
Knowing Mick it'll be Hennessey!

Taffywolf
01-02-2012, 06:54
Johnson has played well for the last 5-6 games before last night, Don't think he should be dropped. I thought midfield should of been stengthened before central defence.

arctic rime
01-02-2012, 06:56
Could he go right back ?

Ashley
01-02-2012, 07:23
Got to be chrisHOOF Berra!! Couldn't pass water that bloke.

Akaman
01-02-2012, 07:42
Could he go right back ?

Or left back?

After Foley's showing last night we could well see Stearman back in the starting line up - could have four CBs in defence.

I think he'll come straight in for Berra, bit harsh on Berra but it's about time we dropped players in the quest for improvement.

North West Wanderer
01-02-2012, 08:31
Berra. Although he's been ok we are shipping goals and something must change. Johnson has been much better.

Mugwump
01-02-2012, 08:46
Berra. Although he's been ok we are shipping goals and something must change. Johnson has been much better.

Stop agreeing with me, its not right!!! :D

waveney wolf
01-02-2012, 08:46
Mm

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 09:57
I think it should be Johnson

Berra has been far the better defender ALL season and again last night. Johnson again made loads of mistakes which Berra had to clean up. Berra has been our rock in the defence but Foley, Ward and Johnson were all poor last night

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 10:02
Centre mid alongside Frimpong?

Bostin
01-02-2012, 10:04

You must have been watching a different season to me mate

WolvesAreBoringOnCeefax
01-02-2012, 10:08
5-4-1, play the lot of them

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 10:11
5-4-1, play the lot of them

Hennessey
Johnson, Bassong, Berra
Foley, Frimpong, Edwards, Ward
Kightly, Jarvis
Fletcher

Discuss

Jalwolf
01-02-2012, 10:15
A slight improvement in Johnson doesn't disguise the fact that he is still under-performing rather than what he was like after the first 3 games which was massively under-performing. There's nothing to Johnson's game apart from hoofing it and winning the odd header. He's constantly out of position and always leaves Berra in the ****.

For me the back line should be Zubar, Berra, Bassong and Ward. Though who takes the captain's armband? Ward maybe?

Wolfruna
01-02-2012, 10:19
I would 100% drop Johnson at this stage. Berra's distribution is questionable without a doubt, but time after time, Johnson gets done for pace and i believe Berra is quicker and stronger in the air than Johnson as proved in last nights game. At one point last night, Berra matched Bellamy for pace and the thought of Johnson in that situation is frightening. I also question Johnson's attitude following his small exchange with the family enclosure last night during the game.

Jalwolf
01-02-2012, 10:19
Hennessey
Johnson, Bassong, Berra
Kightly, Jarvis
Fletcher

Discuss

Good formation if we're playing for a draw (i.e. against a top 4 club). We need to play a much more attacking formation against the likes of QPR and WBA in the coming weeks.

Clifton Wolf
01-02-2012, 10:21
Replace Johnson without a shadow of a doubt. Give the armband back to Henry and move on.

Ginger Chimp
01-02-2012, 10:28
At 10.27 the vote is split 28/27. So, in all likelihood, he'll be on the bench.

:D

Doug
01-02-2012, 10:43
Hennessey
Johnson, Bassong, Berra
Kightly, Jarvis
Fletcher

Discuss

Why not? If the team is so predictable and ineffective at the moment, then time for a change! Possible Zubar in for Foley, Milijas for Edwards? When I found myself battling over who Bassong would replace, this was the first thing (3 CB) I thought of.
When was the last time we played a sweeper system? When Shirtliff was in the side during the Turner years?

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 10:44
Replace Johnson without a shadow of a doubt. Give the armband back to Henry and move on.

And for the next two games?

O'Hara if he's fit?

UEAwolf
01-02-2012, 10:46
It should be Johnson - but I don't think Berra or Bassong have played many games on the right hand side of defence - so it looks like Berra will be dropped (unfairly imo).

Hatch End
01-02-2012, 10:56
Lots face it, they're both poor!

Pengwern
01-02-2012, 11:11
I now have the strong suspicion that Mick's biggest mistake was bringing Johnson in. It disrupted a settled captain and, once his lack of pace was clear, meant that we could not play a high line and press opposition because their pace would catch us out on the counter attack, which didn't happen so much when Stearman was paired with Berra for much of last season. Bringing Johnson in has also persuaded Mick to go back to playing Stearman at RB, which has affected his development and meant we lack attacking flair down that flank.

Now we have Bassong, we can try a high line again and put pressure on the opposition in the final third, which is what worked for us against the top teams last season and looked like working in the first half even last night. Stearman should become 3rd choice and RJ told to work on his sprinting if he wants to stay at the club.

Mick took responsibility for the 3rd goal and performance in the last 35 minutes last night, for changing it to 4-2-2 to chase the game and leaving us unable to get the ball back off Liverpool. What he didn't say is that leaves us exposed because, with Johnson in the team, playing a high enough line to compress the game and give us a better chance of getting the ball back is too high a risk to take.

If I could point to one think which explains why we look weaker at this stage of the season than in the previous two, I think it would be this. It means the whole team worry about being caught on the break, which affects their confidence in one another.

BigBadWolfie
01-02-2012, 11:15

Exactly. Where's the option to drop them both?

Craddock and Bassong to save our season for me!

Bostin
01-02-2012, 11:18
I now have the strong suspicion that Mick's biggest mistake was bringing Johnson in. It disrupted a settled captain and, once his lack of pace was clear, meant that we could not play a high line and press opposition because their pace would catch us out on the counter attack, which didn't happen so much when Stearman was paired with Berra for much of last season. Bringing Johnson in has also persuaded Mick to go back to playing Stearman at RB, which has affected his development and meant we lack attacking flair down that flank.

Now we have Bassong, we can try a high line again and put pressure on the opposition in the final third, which is what worked for us against the top teams last season and looked like working in the first half even last night. Stearman should become 3rd choice and RJ told to work on his sprinting if he wants to stay at the club.

Mick took responsibility for the 3rd goal and performance in the last 35 minutes last night, for changing it to 4-2-2 to chase the game and leaving us unable to get the ball back off Liverpool. What he didn't say is that leaves us exposed because, with Johnson in the team, playing a high enough line to compress the game and give us a better chance of getting the ball back is too high a risk to take.

If I could point to one think which explains why we look weaker at this stage of the season than in the previous two, I think it would be this. It means the whole team worry about being caught on the break, which affects their confidence in one another.

Don't usually agree with you Pengwern, but good post.

woop woop barmy army
01-02-2012, 11:22
Both. Bassong and craddock. At the back. Save our season part IIII for jody.

waveney wolf
01-02-2012, 11:29

They re not that good!

FLEET WOLF
01-02-2012, 11:31

Interesting that Pengwern and you may well have a point, although I am not clear why signing Johnson meant Stearman going to right back, think Mick's hand was forced on that, to an extent, becasue of injuries to Foley and Zubar.

Surrey Wolf
01-02-2012, 12:09
Interesting that Pengwern and you may well have a point, although I am not clear why signing Johnson meant Stearman going to right back, think Mick's hand was forced on that, to an extent, becasue of injuries to Foley and Zubar.

injuries and if i remember correctly MM was worried about the lack of height in the team

Sandwell Wolf
01-02-2012, 12:32
Shall we see if he's any $$$$ing good first?

FLEET WOLF
01-02-2012, 12:40
Shall we see if he's any $$$$ing good first?

Correct as someone has said, he is 5th choice centre half at Spurs. That is better than our 5th choice would be, but even so and he has not played much of late. Incidentally, who would our 5th choice be before Bassong-Elokobi?

Ginger Chimp
01-02-2012, 12:49
Mick took responsibility for the 3rd goal and performance in the last 35 minutes last night, for changing it to 4-2-2 to chase the game and leaving us unable to get the ball back off Liverpool.

A massive mistake which, if proven to be true, should see him not only sacked but arrested fro fraud. Ticket holders should absolutely make a complaint to the Trading Standards about this. It's just not acceptable.

:mad:

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 12:51

Good post Pengwern

Johnson was dire again last night, Berra came to his rescue time and time again. Big mistake making him captain IMO. He has disrupted the team, I wonder how much respect they give him and frequently it is Henry who they look to rather than Jaohnson.

I would pair Bassong and Berra together for Saturday they couldnt be any worse than Berra and Johnson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wulve5
01-02-2012, 12:58
Got to be berra he replaces , the bloke as the turning circle of the Costa Concordia .

Neptune
01-02-2012, 13:26
I'd say Johnson, but it won't happen. Drop Johnson and you admit, "wow, I wasted $7 million on a defender who isn't in the first XI". Wont happen

Hebburn Wolves
01-02-2012, 13:30
imho it will be berra as bassong is left footed so he will play on the left side of a the center back pairing

WalsallWolf
01-02-2012, 13:30
I'd say Johnson, but it won't happen. Drop Johnson and you admit, "wow, I wasted $7 million on a defender who isn't in the first XI". Wont happen

Why? He has done it before.

Based on this season then it has to be Johnson, but I can't help but think someone with the quality like Bassong is what Johnson needs next to him.

Sandwell Wolf
01-02-2012, 13:37
Why? He has done it before.

Based on this season then it has to be Johnson, but I can't help but think someone with the quality like Bassong is what Johnson needs next to him.

Haha!

So it's Berra's fault that Johnson has been $$$$ all season. $$$$ing quality! :D

churchdowner
01-02-2012, 15:19
After seeing Berra's pace last night, i think he could do a job at left back.
So i'd go with Foley Johnson Bassong Berra .

Uncle Festa
01-02-2012, 16:01
Spot on Pengwern. Johnson was $$$$ when we played a high line and culpable for a few defeats because of individual errors. Now he looks better since we have dropped 30,yards further back but the team as a whole are having to do twice as much work defensively to cater for the line being deep, and we look awful and out of shape when we do get the ball due to the starting positions of the midfielders who are plugging a massive gap. With Johnson we are dead as a dodo. Pace and power is severely lacking in our team but no more than at centrehalf where it is needed more than any other position in a team that will be scraping and fighting for every point and don't control the possession.

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 16:02
Both. Bassong and craddock. At the back. Save our season part IIII for jody.

Agreed and can't see them being any worse than the current duo occupying the CH positions.

But seeing as the poll only gives an option of one I'm going for Johnson. Berra isn't great but neither is he dire and at least he is consistent.

I thought Johnson had started to put his poor form behind him but clearly not.

Pengwern
01-02-2012, 16:18
His form has improved, but not his pace. He needs a sprinting coach and a 'How to think quicker' coach. I could do both!

Oh - another thought! If Bassong can talk Zubar into becoming the centre back we thought he was, we would have REALLY good pace in the middle of defence.

Should I get me coat for the second time in 18 hours?

Essex Wolf
01-02-2012, 16:28
His form has improved, but not his pace. He needs a sprinting coach and a 'How to think quicker' coach. I could do both!

Oh - another thought! If Bassong can talk Zubar into becoming the centre back we thought he was, we would have REALLY good pace in the middle of defence.

Should I get me coat for the second time in 18 hours?

You speak good sense. Something McCarthy is devoid of.

WalsallWolf
01-02-2012, 16:32
Haha!

So it's Berra's fault that Johnson has been $$$$ all season. $$$$ing quality! :D

Dear oh dear here he is again.

Remind me how many goals we have conceded the past 2 years with Berra regularly in it? Once you have worked that out, remind me how good BCFC defense was with Johnson in it.

I posted constructively in the Mick thread solely down to forum rules, but you Sandwell - are a turd.

BlakemoreWolf
01-02-2012, 16:39
This is what i'd like to see as the back four providing everyones fit

Zubar--Johnson--Bassong--Ward

Sandwell Wolf
01-02-2012, 16:40

Remind me how many goals we have conceded the past 2 years with Berra regularly in it? Once you have worked that out, remind me how good BCFC defense was with Johnson in it.

I posted constructively in the Mick thread solely down to forum rules, but you Sandwell - are a turd.

Great insult that mate, a turd.

Why the insults to your own fans you $$$$ing mug. Remind me how many mistakes Berra has been at fault for since we signed him? Apart from the penalty on Darren Bent last week, hardly any. Johnson is $$$$e.

Wulve5
01-02-2012, 16:44

Why the insults to your own fans you $$$$ing mug. Remind me how many mistakes Berra has been at fault for since we signed him? Apart from the penalty on Darren Bent last week, hardly any. Johnson is $$$$e.

You for real ? Berra is a liability constant shirt pulling and persistent fouling when no need. Looks clumsy hoooooofs everything shall I go on... Da da da da $$$$ing useless .

WalsallWolf
01-02-2012, 16:47
Come on Sandwell ffs. I hope you are just disagreeing with me for the sake of it now, if not, this is worrying.

Roger Johnson has been $$$$ this season, correct. But so has Kevin Doyle, does that make him a poor player all of a sudden? No.

Roger Johnson, generally, is a much better centre half than Christophe Berra and it is typically of you only to question that.

KiwiWolf
01-02-2012, 17:11
Can't believe this one! He would definitely have done a better job for us that what we have. Would have been good with Bassong I think and we wouldn't have needed to break the bank to get him in. NO, I'm not biased, I just think he's a good centre half and offers something we have very little of currently............ LEADERSHIP!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16829241

jackdusty
01-02-2012, 17:24

To put it in a wider footballing sense,compare the 2 midfields in both teams and you will see that having a solid midfield can cover a lot of defensive stats.I know blues went down,that's because they couldn't score.For the record i voted Johnson to be dropped.I am not a turd:p

Edgmond Wolf
01-02-2012, 17:27
Come on Sandwell ffs. I hope you are just disagreeing with me for the sake of it now, if not, this is worrying.

Roger Johnson has been $$$$ this season, correct. But so has Kevin Doyle, does that make him a poor player all of a sudden? No.

Roger Johnson, generally, is a much better centre half than Christophe Berra and it is typically of you only to question that.

No no no
Berra has been our best CB for nigh on every game
Johnson has been the worst player on the pitch for most games and for nigh on every game has been the worst defender / CB
Drop Rodge the Bodge take the captains arm band from him NOW

arctic rime
01-02-2012, 17:47
Fanny and bassong is the answer !

Dewsburywolf
01-02-2012, 19:53
Fanny and bassong is the answer !

Fanny's song in a bass tone, works for me :D

WonderWolf
01-02-2012, 20:10
It has to to be Johnson.....I would rather Berra hoofed it than have Johnson be clueless and indecisive to $$$$-up and allow a successful strike on goal!

Ted Bundy
02-02-2012, 01:12
Why not go for Stearman & Bassong?

Salisbury Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:24

OK, enough... I asked yesterday for you to keep it civil. No need for that is there.

Salisbury Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:27

And the same applies here too SW. Some friendly advice to you both - stick each other on your ignore list...