Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Death of Football, R.I.P.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you are missing how getting rid of VAR would actually work. Yes there would be more mistakes on big calls, such as penalties, but the question of bias would tend to show up more obviously and more quickly than before, where it can semi-hide behind the technology as "objective".

Refs would still face scrutiny if post-match video analysis showed mistakes.

With regard to offside, the situation would improve greatly as the old "benefit of the doubt" maxim would rule out some/most of the ultlramarginal calls that are so infuriating.

Refs would also quickly improve in my view. Without the crutches of VAR, refs would have to learn to swim a bit better.
We lasted over 100 years without VAR. Refs are not infallible or uncorruptable but at least they don't stop the game for minutes at a time and hide behind technology to find excuses for denying goals the way VAR does.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR has made the game worse for all footballl fans, whether watching on tv or in the stadium. Whether it’s the obvious manipulation or the delays, it’s awful. It’s worse for those in the stadiums because they have even less information on what’s happening and don’t see the various angles being looked at.

As for improving the accuracy of decisions. No it hasn’t . They’ve introduced apparentl accuracy to justify their intervention, but football is mostly about subjective decisions by officials, and VAR has added another layer of subjectivity and dispute. It’s rubbish.
Not quite sure about how subjective decisions are. Pre-VAR it seems to me that there were far fewer contentious moments, as the parameters for decision-making worked better in the sense that there was more allowance. PUt simply, attackers got the benefit of the doubt for offside, defenders got the benefit of the doubt for penalties. The key decisions in these two areas then generally were acceptable insofar as a ref could be accurate.

Generally the red card decisions are rarely contentious and not that pertinent to the debate. (There is a strong argument that obvious examples of serious foul play that had been missed could be decided in post-match video review).

If you look at refs' decisions around free kicks, where VAR doesnt play a role, there are quite often mistakes, and quite often those mistakes show an element of bias. That can only be improved through better training and use of video to show how mistakes are made.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
How have they messed it up so badly?

First of all, get rid of the clear and obvious clause. Mistakes need correcting, isn’t that the point of VAR.

Secondly, you can’t have people sitting in a room together chatting about what they’ve seen. As soon as somebody expresses an opinion, that will influence the views of others leading to biased decisions. 5 people sitting in a room on their own, pressing yes or no buttons and go with the majority.

Thirdly, no slo-mo action replays. 30 seconds of real-time replays from various angles and then a decision. Job done and get on with it.

Ideally, get rid completely, but sorry we all know it’s here to stay.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
How have they messed it up so badly?

First of all, get rid of the clear and obvious clause. Mistakes need correcting, isn’t that the point of VAR.

Secondly, you can’t have people sitting in a room together chatting about what they’ve seen. As soon as somebody expresses an opinion, that will influence the views of others leading to biased decisions. 5 people sitting in a room on their own, pressing yes or no buttons and go with the majority.

Thirdly, no slo-mo action replays. 30 seconds of real-time replays from various angles and then a decision. Job done and get on with it.

Ideally, get rid completely, but sorry we all know it’s here to stay.
Have always said that they have to replicate the on pitch decision making process, in that they get to watch it once in real time as the ref and linesmen get. If they can't determine a need to change the decision from that view then the ref's decision stands. Should be done and dusted by the time the celebrations have finished.

Oh and why couldn't you have the individual in the ground.

It's like when an IT system is over-engineered to make it idiot proof rather than getting rid of the idiots.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t know if this is relevant VAR or not, but I thought I would post here.

Jarred Gillet is wearing a head camera for the match between Palace and Yanited tonight.

Just a one match trial, but I honestly don’t know what to think.

Thoughts, Mixers.

Gillet you say?

Makes sense. The head camera was facing inwards in the vain search for a brain cell.

Back
Top Bottom