Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll - Time for an experienced Director of Football on site .

Do we need a director of football ?

• We need one

Votes: 133 85.8%
  • We don’t need one

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • We actually have one .

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • A good manager is enough

Votes: 12 7.7%

• Total voters

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A man with successful experience of running a top European or British club

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually think we got the balance right this summer.

We should only use Mendes to get players who are very good - but that's exactly what we supposedly did.

Nunes was a signing that was apparently out of our league, but we haven't seen it consistently yet.
Guedes was apparently a forward in the mould of Jota and hit double figures in La Liga. He was supposed to address the goalscoring. Unlike Nunes, we haven't even seen signs with him.

These weren't risks on £35m kids. These were two, proven, international players who had delivered at a high level.

As well as that, we brought in a talented centre-back in Collins and someone who the stats people would rave about in Traore.
Kaladzic would also be in this bracket and was meant to be a coup.

So, it was a good mix.

If we ever choose to go down the route of a normal director of football we have to accept that it closes off the Mendes avenue.

Nobody in that role, who is actually very good, is going to be happy to accept that certain key signings are made by an agent.

I don't think we are in a position to lose what has been our USP over the years.

This squad is good on paper and whilst Shi and Sellars deserve plenty of criticism for things like not signing a backup centre-back, some of the previous deals (Traore) and the timings, the squad, one the whole, looks good.

Our main issue is the players are not playing to their supposed potential and that comes down to the coach. Get a good boss in and we should be performing much better and if that happens I bet this discussion doesn't even happen.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually think we got the balance right this summer.

We should only use Mendes to get players who are very good - but that's exactly what we supposedly did.

Nunes was apparently a signing that was apparently out of our league, but we haven't seen it consistently yet.
Guedes was apparently a forward in the mould of Jota and hit double figures in La Liga. He was supposed to address the goalscoring. Unlike Nunes, we haven't even seen signs with him.

These weren't risks on £35m kids. These were two, proven, international players who had delivered at a high level.

As well as that, we brought in a talented centre-back in Collins and someone who the stats people would rave about in Traore.
Kaladzic would also be in this bracket and was meant to be a coup.

So, it was a good mix.

If we ever choose to go down the route of a normal director of football we have to accept that it closes off the Mendes avenue.

Nobody in that role, who is actually very good, is going to be happy to accept that certain key signings are made by an agent.

I don't think we are in a position to lose what has been our USP over the years.

This squad is good on paper and whilst Shi and Sellars deserve plenty of criticism for things like not signing a backup centre-back, some of the previous deals (Traore) and the timings, the squad, one the whole, looks good.

Our main issue is the players are not playing to their supposed potential and that comes down to the coach. Get a good boss in and we should be performing much better and if that happens I bet this discussion doesn't even happen.
I’m sure somebody has hacked your account the last few months…….

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While I also rate this summer's transfer window, there seems to be too many questionable strategic and tactic decisions at the club, with regards to the footballing side.

We took far too many gambles (Fabio Silva, Bruno Lage, bare bones in the spine of the team). Fair enough, I actually think Fabio Silva may yet pay off, but he was not what we needed back then. We also sold Jota and Doherty and did not replace them with the players generating the same or similar numbers. Even if Semedo is a better footballer than Doherty (which he is), Doc helped us a lot with an odd goal or assist.

In the unforgiving environment of the Premier League, it resulted in slipping from being "the best of the rest" and genuinely threating the top six, to fighting for survival.

Granted, most people learn their work by doing it, hopefully Jeff Shi and Scott Sellars also learnt from their mistakes, but I don't think all of the above would happen if we had a proper director of football with a proven track record at the top of the game.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I also rate this summer's transfer window, there seems to be too many questionable strategic and tactic decisions at the club, with regards to the footballing side.

We took far too many gambles (Fabio Silva, Bruno Lage, bare bones in the spine of the team). Fair enough, I actually think Fabio Silva may yet pay off, but he was not what we needed back then. We also sold Jota and Doherty and did not replace them with the players generating the same or similar numbers. Even if Semedo is a better footballer than Doherty (which he is), Doc helped us a lot with an odd goal or assist.

In the unforgiving environment of the Premier League, it resulted in slipping from being "the best of the rest" and genuinely threating the top six, to fighting for survival.

Granted, most people learn their work by doing it, hopefully Jeff Shi and Scott Sellars also learnt from their mistakes, but I don't think all of the above would happen if we had a proper director of football with a proven track record at the top of the game.
Shi has been here six years . His seems to be getting less active in the football part. . Leaving a vacuum .

Monswolf

Reaction score
In my perfect world Nuno would be DOF with a decent up and coming coach for the team so with that in mind a team of Nuno DOF and Beale as first team coach

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without one you are always going to struggle to attract top coaches
Yet some posters feel a DOF can be restrictive on getting a good coach who may want more control .
But I always believe a good coach can walk leaving a club at ground zero . The right DOF always has one eye on the next coach and may be the one after.

Last edited:

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In my perfect world Nuno would be DOF with a decent up and coming coach for the team so with that in mind a team of Nuno DOF and Beale as first team coach
Why? Why is Nuno the answer to everything? Nuno apparently chose Podence over Dani Olmo. Would probably have been happy to let Kilman go for a million quid. Nuno is a lovely bloke but the skills required for a top DoF are completely different to being a manager

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? Why is Nuno the answer to everything? Nuno apparently chose Podence over Dani Olmo. Would probably have been happy to let Kilman go for a million quid. Nuno is a lovely bloke but the skills required for a top DoF are completely different to being a manager
At least he had a vision and a style. Maybe a better manager could implement it. Maybe having a face to show stability (that is well-liked) is also important. More than I could say for whatever Shi and Sellars are doing or not doing.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the number one attribute of a DOF is contacts at the highest levels in the football world but with a clear footballing knowledge ideology and an strong character.

Back
Top Bottom