Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno or Beale.

Nuno or Beale.

• Total voters

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
You and l are in violent agreement on this one.
i just think with others available it is one hell of a risk. i think most will agree when Bruno was dismissed that this next appointment had to be right and showed our ambition,only time will tell,but at the moment it is like a fairy tale....Grimm!

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
Honestly we could have Pep in charge and we'd still be in a relegation battle. We haven't had a fit for purpose strike force for two YEARS and the chickens are coming home to roost. That won't change until at least January. So we have to accept we are in a relegation battle and dig in. So the answer to this question is simple. It has to be Nuno as Beale has precisely zero management experience of that. Anyone who thinks a manager can turn this squad into world beaters with our current forwards is truly delusional. The writing has been on the wall for almost the entirety of this calendar year.
spot on,but we are not asking to be world beaters just competitive and that should be achievable with the current squad ot our disposal

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine if someone had told you after that 1-1 Olympiacos game in the Europa League (March 2020), just before lockdown started, that a poll taken barely two years later would have Nuno slightly behind Michael Beale in popularity for Wolves manager. Crazy times.
Or imagine if someone told you that we'd get stuffed by relegation fodder Albion a few months later and Nuno would cut a desolate figure in the dug out with a side that played dull, pragmatic football. And that he'd go to Spurs and do the same.
But it's good to look back on those good times no matter what has happened since.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beale is a risk as he's somewhat of an unknown quantity. One positive for him is that at QPR goals have come from lots of different players

With Nuno my worry would be where will the goals come from, based on how he has set us up before and relied heavily on Goals From Raul for example where will the goals come from ?

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Or imagine if someone told you that we'd get stuffed by relegation fodder Albion a few months later and Nuno would cut a desolate figure in the dug out with a side that played dull, pragmatic football. And that he'd go to Spurs and do the same.
But it's good to look back on those good times no matter what has happened since.
I'd take dull and pragmatic this season of it meant we stayed up. This team is only going one way at the moment.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we posed any particular threat against Forest, who were as poor an opponent as we're likely to face. I don't remember Henderson making a save, the only shot on goal I can think of was the penalty. As you say, we got lucky - or rather we relied on Sa (his penalty stops have earned us three points already).

Game before against Chelsea, we were truly rancid and their changed side could have tonked us 5 or 6 if they could be bothered to get out of second gear. TBH, I don't think we were particularly good on balance against Palace either, certainly not in the second half. First half was pretty good though and if both sides had scored their chances, it would be something like 3-1 at H/T.
Chelsea could have absolutely hammered unspoilt, without Neves.
Point is, we were worse against Fulham and Leeds and Bournemouth and West Ham. That is the form that is truly awful.
I don't think you can say things are improving after 3 games, but you can't say they are getting any worse!

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take dull and pragmatic this season of it meant we stayed up. This team is only going one way at the moment.
We can't score goals, that's the resounding problem.
One that is likely to be accentuated by a dull pragmatic approach

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly, you say he threw an FA Cup Semi Final away. How many managers have got us there in the last 4 decades?

“The bloke did wonders” - you ain’t wrong.

Nuno’s teams don’t score a lot of goals. What quantifies a lot of goals? How many would you like? Do you care about how many we concede?

In recent weeks we’d have to score 2/3/4 goals per game to win. Beale is averaging 1.5 GPG this season with QPR.

There’s this narrative flying around that people need to let it go, and that they’re being a little pathetic about an ex-partner. I couldn’t disagree more.

If Beale doesn’t get a good start, Molineux will be toxic. If Nuno got a poor start support would still be there, and it would be immense. Nuno gives us way more than happy memories.

That's a crazy last statement. A poor start and it would be immense, really..................

Already you're making a case for a back lash. You'e basically saying our previous coach (who I have much respect for) can **** up and we'll go home happy and sing his name from the rooftops. That's as much as saying, i'll be happy to give the other guy pelters from the start but will happily lay the red carpet down for Nuno, even if its at the end of a tonking.

Sorry mister, I don't share that view one iota !!

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Imagine the phone call to Nuno…
Jeff - hi Nuno, you know we told you that you weren’t first choice, well actually we were kidding, you were first choice all along. This Beale malarkey was a smoke screen, we really wanted you, honest…..

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We can't score goals, that's the resounding problem.
One that is likely to be accentuated by a dull pragmatic approach
We're shipping goals. I think 10 against in the last five. We've scored two in that period. It's totally dysfunctional. I don't see goals in the side with the currently available players (I mean we didn't score many with prime Jota, Jiminez, Traore and Doc!). So you fix what you can which is our defence. Make us hard to beat. So I'd go back to three at the back and try to shore it up. Dull? Absolutely. But we'd have a chance in my opinion. And Nuno was the architect of that style. Though I have to say he might look at the side and think no thanks Jeffrey.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Nuno and do trust that he would keep Wolves safe . . . but I'm having flashbacks to the worst of the 20/21 season watching the current team.

Wolves really need a fresh mind/approach/style at this point because I just don't think the current first team is set up for success (i.e., to actually win PL matches with any regularity), and I fear that we could see more of the same if Nuno returned.

Also, every manager is a "new flavor of ice cream" at some point, including the likes of Pep and Klopp. If people who have coached with Beale and played for him at Chelsea and Liverpool and Rangers and Aston Villa are saying he's special, I'm willing to take a chance on him even though he's more likely to be the next replacement level PL manager rather than the next Sir Alex.

I'd rather take a chance on someone that could be great rather than settle for the known, safe, closer to average manager. And it's not like this group needs a miracle worker at this point, Wolves have 27 matches to gather about 30 points and are 3-5 points behind a bunch of uninspiring teams that are mid table.
My concern isn't about Beale as a coach (I'm sure he is 'special'), my concern is about him as a manager. They are two totally separate jobs. Coaches don't have to concern themselves with team selection and making intelligent in-game decisions (often under pressure in front of large crowds), how to pick players up who are beginning to doubt the team after a poor run of form, or deal with a player who is upset after losing his place in the team. They don't have to deal with the board, or handle media duties (which can be highly scrutinous in the Premier League). In other words, coaches are not the "front man" of the band. Beale as far as I can tell has less than three months' career experience of any of these things.

Of the two examples you cited, Klopp and Pep. While it's true they had no prior managerial experience, they were legends of their respective clubs, Mainz and Barca (Klopp 325 appearances over 11 years, Pep 324 for all Barca sides over 13 years). They studied the game, learned from the various coaches over the years, and were part of their clubs' DNA. That's not true of Beale - he bombed out early as a player and has been a coaching nomad.

T

TheConcourse

That's a crazy last statement. A poor start and it would be immense, really..................

Already you're making a case for a back lash. You'e basically saying our previous coach (who I have much respect for) can **** up and we'll go home happy and sing his name from the rooftops. That's as much as saying, i'll be happy to give the other guy pelters from the start but will happily lay the red carpet down for Nuno, even if its at the end of a tonking.

Sorry mister, I don't share that view one iota !!
You don’t think Nuno would have more leeway than Beale? Oooookay.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're shipping goals. I think 10 against in the last five. We've scored two in that period. It's totally dysfunctional. I don't see goals in the side with the currently available players (I mean we didn't score many with prime Jota, Jiminez, Traore and Doc!). So you fix what you can which is our defence. Make us hard to beat. So I'd go back to three at the back and try to shore it up. Dull? Absolutely. But we'd have a chance in my opinion. And Nuno was the architect of that style. Though I have to say he might look at the side and think no thanks Jeffrey.
I've just got this strange concept about being hard to beat in football which is that you're a damn site harder to beat if you've just popped 2 or 3 goals in up the other end. Which is why the teams at the top end of the table score the most and the ones at the bottom score the fewest. Crazy really.

Anyway, you might be getting your wish, the way it's going. Hopefully it won't be too dull and we'll be hard to beat too.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Bearing in mind that a guy who has been head coach/manager for just 15 games in the Championship has turned Wolves down, why does anyone think Nuno (who is going to know better than ANYONE what goes on behind the scenes), is going to behave any differently and walk away from a club just three months into a 2 year deal (unless he is genuinely utterly miserable there).

Currently I'm afraid I just don't see Sir Knight Nuno Espirito Santo riding on a chariot flailing a whip at the backs of, and being towed by, Shi & Sellers (though let that image sit with you a while!).

Perhaps if Shi and Sellers were given the boot, then that circumstance could open the door for Nuno to return. Its certainly more a possibility than 12 hours ago!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the poll that matters, Nuno got over 483 votes, for first preference for any manager.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine the phone call to Nuno…
Jeff - hi Nuno, you know we told you that you weren’t first choice, well actually we were kidding, you were first choice all along. This Beale malarkey was a smoke screen, we really wanted you, honest…..
Is he really in position to care? He's no one's first choice (that matters) after being sacked by Wolves and Spurs in less than a season.

This comment reminds me of the QPR fans that are calling Beale names because he isn't loyal to the team. When if they had a losing streak, they want his head so fast as would management. Funny they expect him to have loyalty when they wouldn't.

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
My concern isn't about Beale as a coach (I'm sure he is 'special'), my concern is about him as a manager. They are two totally separate jobs. Coaches don't have to concern themselves with team selection and making intelligent in-game decisions (often under pressure in front of large crowds), how to pick players up who are beginning to doubt the team after a poor run of form, or deal with a player who is upset after losing his place in the team. They don't have to deal with the board, or handle media duties (which can be highly scrutinous in the Premier League). In other words, coaches are not the "front man" of the band. Beale as far as I can tell has less than three months' career experience of any of these things.

Of the two examples you cited, Klopp and Pep. While it's true they had no prior managerial experience, they were legends of their respective clubs, Mainz and Barca (Klopp 325 appearances over 11 years, Pep 324 for all Barca sides over 13 years). They studied the game, learned from the various coaches over the years, and were part of their clubs' DNA. That's not true of Beale - he bombed out early as a player and has been a coaching nomad.
Well, it's all moot now.

I'd argue that "being part of a club's DNA" doesn't equal experience as a manager. If the DNA thing was that big a deal we'd see a lot more former club legends become great managers. Just like being a "coaching nomad" who didn't cut it as a player and starts their coaching career at a low level isn't a bad thing at face value. At least then you know they've earned each step up the ladder.

Back
Top Bottom