Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the disillusioned thread Mixers are complaining about how the game has changed for the worse and it’s all big money today etc.
But over here on the Coady thread, many Mixers are complaining about the Coady deal and how we should get every penny for Coady out of Everton.

Two different narratives.

But Wolves want to make this easy for Coady and are allowing him to leave as a classy gesture of goodwill.
Well done Wolves ……..it’s not always about the money.
I agree with this. I'm glad they are looking out for Coady and smoothing the way for him to potentially live his world cup dream. He has been such a brilliant servant and ambassador for the club, he deserves no less. Yes, we could have played hardball with Everton, and Coady for that matter, but I like the fact that football has time for a little humanity and respect, and is not all about the money. We also don't know what the loan fee is either. Probably a few million.

Having said all of that, in the unlikely event that we get relegated this season - and I don't believe this will happen barring a catastrophic injury crisis - if a Coady led Everton survive at our expense, then watch out Jeff and Sellars, they'll be marching with their pitchforks on the Mol!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don’t think Nathan Collins gives me the confidence to bin Coady from the squad, yet. The defence did look shaky (as it did last season, tbf) against Leeds, but I guess that is to be expected to some degree. I just don’t like losing our comfort blanket of bringing Coady back in and going to the tried and tested 5 at the back.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don’t think Nathan Collins gives me the confidence to bin Coady from the squad, yet. The defence did look shaky (as it did last season, tbf) against Leeds, but I guess that is to be expected to some degree. I just don’t like losing our comfort blanket of bringing Coady back in and going to the tried and tested 5 at the back.
I'm guessing we can and will play 3 at the back at some point this season? Reckon Max could play in the centre and we could bring Toti in

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Selling Coady for 12M would be criminal. Are we really so hard up that we would sell someone of his calibre for a measly 12M?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm guessing we can and will play 3 at the back at some point this season? Reckon Max could play in the centre and we could bring Toti in
We probably will, and imo our back three will be weaker without Coady in it. Which is why I think it’s daft to loan him to a rival.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I get all that. And still I think its nice to see our club priorities a club legends wish over finances.
Could benefit us in the long run too as players might be more eager to join of they know they're seen as humans as well as players.
No it isn’t nice to see when they charged us more money AGAIN and told us that was to make us competitive and they just leave money on the table…..

we are more loyal and dedicated to this club than conor, we are the ones who pay to watch that and help finance his wages. He can just leave if times get hard or he isn’t happy, we can’t do that. We are born and bred for this club it is in our veins for the good and the bad times. So I am sorry, he shouldn’t get favours to make a world cup that will
Simply be a holiday and front row seat at games for as he won’t play. If he was a key player or first choice cb rotation (he doesn’t even start in the first choice back five ahead of man cities rwb) and he had a realistic sense and chance of playing I could be more understanding, but he didn’t get on in two games at molineux even though England defensively and organisationally were shambolic, he ain’t playing a second at the WC so this deal is just crap.

We on the other hand were there in league one, dealing with the mocking of successive delegations from prem to league one. We are the ones who give them the atmosphere to sell as video and sound bites in their media packages. Where is our deal to help us stay in the ground at a time of financial hardship? They didn’t care and priced people out anyway. So I am sorry if the deal doesn’t work financially to improve the squad NOW he should still be here till a deal
Comes that suits the club.

He is and has been very well paid by the club and no player is more important than the club and what it’s ambitions are.

If we are sell to buy and that is what we are being told and that finances finances for signings are tight, then I am sorry it can only be a sale or sizeable chunk of that loan fee up front and a guaranteed forced sale with no ways to finesse their way out of it.

We are told and it is widely believed we are tight for funds then I am sorry this deal strengthens a rival in the battle to stay up who got a sizeable chunk of change from rhe richarlison deal. If they are short go Centre backs make them sell more players to bring him in, everyone else would do that to us. Did anyone loan us a striker in the league when Raul nearly died and the goals dried up? NOPE….. this is a results business and we have just probably given Everton the missing piece to tighten up and strengthen their squad and defence with no finances to strengthen ourselves straight away. What a stupid deal to do!!!

We got ********d on the adama deal and we have set ourselves up AGAIN for that and this time giving away a regular starter from last season and regular England squad player. Did the clowns learn nothing from Barca? As Everton are financially crap too and will look for a way out of the fee if they can too no doubt!

He has been Great servant and a modern legend, but he has been well rewarded financially and in terms of his career for being here, he got his caps by playing for us. If he wasn’t here for Nuno to change his life and career from where it was at the time, he was only going to be a championship journeyman which let’s be honest is all he was going to be as he was a bad midfielder in the championship and not a good right back which is where he was being played. He doesn’t and probably wouldn’t ever have played for England if not for wolves or Nuno, that is a fact.

This is a results based business and if this deal is as described and for such a low fee at 12 million when the least he is worth is 20-30 million then it is yet another notch on the Jeff and Scott **** ups list!

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With West Ham rumoured to be interested I feel we could not only have got a better fee but also the money now.
I'm totally baffled by this loan deal.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With West Ham rumoured to be interested I feel we could not only have got a better fee but also the money now.
I'm totally baffled by this loan deal.
We are doing a deal that doesn’t benefit; Bruno, the squad, the fans or the club. Only one person and their new home. If only we had experience of how a deal like this works in the real world and how successful it is….. oh wait, we did it with adama and it failed us massively, so yeah let’s repeat the same deal…. Hahaha

It doesn’t make sense to me at all to structure it the way it has been done.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we are more loyal and dedicated to this club than conor, we are the ones who pay to watch that and help finance his wages. He can just leave if times get hard or he isn’t happy, we can’t do that. We are born and bred for this club it is in our veins for the good and the bad times. So I am sorry, he shouldn’t get favours to make a world cup that will
If you're basing it on who pays the most to finance the club, then surely Wolves should just be focusing on what Sky Sports want, rather than the fans? We could leave all our transfers until late on deadline day, perhaps sign a few more big names, and appoint a name like Rooney as manager to help Sky - the people who really finance the players wages.

This is a results based business and if this deal is as described and for such a low fee at 12 million when the least he is worth is 20-30 million then it is yet another notch on the Jeff and Scott **** ups list!
Absolutely no way on earth a club is going to pay £30 million for Coady! Do you really think we'd be doing this if there was a chance of getting £30m for him?!

It seems very contradictory how some people seem to think Jeff is out to screw the club for every last penny, at the same time as being happy to give players away for less than they're worth.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this stupid rumoured loan with no obligation goes through, without a massive loan fee at the very least, then Sellars has to go. Guedes would be a Mendez move, no credit to Scott. O. U. T.
But is it jeff shi who made that decision. No other club would allow coady to go on loan with a view to buying.

We have lost out financially on traore and cutrone by not inserting an obligation to buy. If they had done so we would have millons more pounds to play with.

This is negligence, that's what this is.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
If he's already had a medical with Everton, he doesn't seem desperate to stay and fight for his place. Maybe he too realises that he is not a PL centre half in a back 4. Had he had such confidence, you would have thought (as club captain) he would relish the competition and the chance to win back his place - particularly with only 2 young centre halves ahead of him.

Thanks Conor for the memories and for the way you led the club over recent years. However, times move on and a clean break is probably best for both sides.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have lost out financially on traore and cutrone by not inserting an obligation to buy. If they had done so we would have millons more pounds to play with.

If we had insisted on that, the clubs wouldn't have wanted to loan them at all!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he's already had a medical with Everton, he doesn't seem desperate to stay and fight for his place. Maybe he too realises that he is not a PL centre half in a back 4. Had he had such confidence, you would have thought (as club captain) he would relish the competition and the chance to win back his place - particularly with only 2 young centre halves ahead of him.

Thanks Conor for the memories and for the way you led the club over recent years. However, times move on and a clean break is probably best for both sides.

I don’t think that’s fair really. He will know from Bruno what the plan is regarding defence and if he’s basically only going to be used sparingly then he will also know he’s possibly going to miss out on his only shot at a World Cup. Wolves allowing him to move for a modest fee / loan is Wolves being fair to him after the key role he’s played in our climb from the Champ. It’s also a continuation of the approach the club has taken to players who don’t mess us around.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But is it jeff shi who made that decision. No other club would allow coady to go on loan with a view to buying.

There was an obligation to buy in Cutrones first loan but they weaselled out of it by not playing him to prevent the clause from being triggered.

As regards Coady, this is all about enabling him to play meaningful competitive football this season so he can get to the World Cup. I actually think the club should get a lot of respect for that, and I say that having been very critical of their recent transfer business.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it isn’t nice to see when they charged us more money AGAIN and told us that was to make us competitive and they just leave money on the table…..

Simply be a holiday and front row seat at games for as he won’t play. If he was a key player or first choice cb rotation (he doesn’t even start in the first choice back five ahead of man cities rwb) and he had a realistic sense and chance of playing I could be more understanding, but he didn’t get on in two games at molineux even though England defensively and organisationally were shambolic, he ain’t playing a second at the WC so this deal is just crap.

We on the other hand were there in league one, dealing with the mocking of successive delegations from prem to league one. We are the ones who give them the atmosphere to sell as video and sound bites in their media packages. Where is our deal to help us stay in the ground at a time of financial hardship? They didn’t care and priced people out anyway. So I am sorry if the deal doesn’t work financially to improve the squad NOW he should still be here till a deal

He is and has been very well paid by the club and no player is more important than the club and what it’s ambitions are.

If we are sell to buy and that is what we are being told and that finances finances for signings are tight, then I am sorry it can only be a sale or sizeable chunk of that loan fee up front and a guaranteed forced sale with no ways to finesse their way out of it.

We are told and it is widely believed we are tight for funds then I am sorry this deal strengthens a rival in the battle to stay up who got a sizeable chunk of change from rhe richarlison deal. If they are short go Centre backs make them sell more players to bring him in, everyone else would do that to us. Did anyone loan us a striker in the league when Raul nearly died and the goals dried up? NOPE….. this is a results business and we have just probably given Everton the missing piece to tighten up and strengthen their squad and defence with no finances to strengthen ourselves straight away. What a stupid deal to do!!!

We got ********d on the adama deal and we have set ourselves up AGAIN for that and this time giving away a regular starter from last season and regular England squad player. Did the clowns learn nothing from Barca? As Everton are financially crap too and will look for a way out of the fee if they can too no doubt!

He has been Great servant and a modern legend, but he has been well rewarded financially and in terms of his career for being here, he got his caps by playing for us. If he wasn’t here for Nuno to change his life and career from where it was at the time, he was only going to be a championship journeyman which let’s be honest is all he was going to be as he was a bad midfielder in the championship and not a good right back which is where he was being played. He doesn’t and probably wouldn’t ever have played for England if not for wolves or Nuno, that is a fact.

Fair points.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This.

It's also telling that at the first sign of him being challenged he'd rather leave the club than stay and fight for his place.

Club legend.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is how he rarely gets injured. I think there was one relatively short layoff.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's also telling that at the first sign of him being challenged he'd rather leave the club than stay and fight for his place.

Club legend.

Eh?

It's not that he's suddenly not good enough, it's that we don't want to play with 5 at the back. You can criticise a lot of things about Coady, but desire to fight and improve isn't one of them, IMO.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loan with obligation is basically the same as a straight sale, just with delayed payment.
Does have the positive of him not playing against us I assume.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with everything you say here, except the 20-30m.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just one of those things. If their is no guarantee of playing leading up to the world cup no one can blame him for pursuing his career elsewhere. We are accommodating him in this regard with a move away so no use moaning, it is what it is.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Loan with obligation is basically the same as a straight sale, just with delayed payment.

A loan with obligation might be a way of reducing the amount we need to pay Huddersfield if they have a sell-on clause. Assume the loan fee won’t count towards this so maybe it’s chunkier than people are assuming. Who knows though and just speculating

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just one of those things. If their is no guarantee of playing leading up to the world cup no one can blame him for pursuing his career elsewhere. We are accommodating him in this regard with a move away so no use moaning, it is what it is.
One big question here and it hasn’t been asked….. with him not playing a second in the car crash summer run of fixtures for Gareth, despite the defensive and organisational issues that he is known for being strong at bringing together, is he still actually in Gareth’s thoughts at all?

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not an obligation though, that's the point (according to Liam Keen anyway)

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could be worse. We could have agreed to pay his wages too !

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eh?

It's not that he's suddenly not good enough, it's that we don't want to play with 5 at the back. You can criticise a lot of things about Coady, but desire to fight and improve isn't one of them, IMO.

He's pushed for this move.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not an obligation though, that's the point (according to Liam Keen anyway)
It may be similar to Vinagre’s option which was linked to the clubs performance rather than Coady’s. We may get a slightly higher fee over the long term with loan fee and final fee if conditions met. It also helps us and Coady in that if Everton have another disastrous season he’s not stuck at a relegated club and we can bring him back and sell him to someone else.

It also demonstrates to others that the club cares for players and doesn’t stand in their way which may be a good selling point to potential new players who might be worried that we sign them and then play hard ball if a suitable offer comes in later in their Wolves career. I would also say there is a loyalty recognition here, similar to Mane going to Bayern for only £27m, he’d let Liverpool know he would like a move 12 months ago. I am sure Coady recognised that he wasn’t going to get a game in a 4 automatically and with family in Liverpool I can imagine the temptation to move there was high. I also don’t see him playing into his late 30s, I think he will move into coaching in his early/mid 30s so this could be his last big move/payday. Which I don’t begrudge him.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we clearly don't want to play with anyone who plays his role in the team.

If you're seeing this as him doing some kind of emotional disservice to Wolves, then I think you need to take it less personally.

I don't, but people are waxing lyrical about him being a leader, a man who bleeds old gold and black.

In reality, he's looking after himself and has no loyalty towards the club.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't, but people are waxing lyrical about him being a leader, a man who bleeds old gold and black.

In reality, he's looking after himself and has no loyalty towards the club.

It's perfectly possible to be a good leader, and to be desperate to succeed for Wolves, but also to think that if you're a specialist in playing as the central 1 of a back 3, and your club wants to move to a back 4 there's no point in spending a year sat on the bench in the run up to a World Cup and at the age of 29.

As long as he's dealt with this in the right way, which I've seen no indication that he hasn't, then it should be possible to get a move that suits all parties.

I'd imagine that SS, Jeff and Bruno would take it this way, as long as they're not emotional babies who will throw a tantrum should any player ever want to leave Wolves.

Coady would rather play
We'd rather have the money and wages to spend on a player who fits how we want to play

blackbullyV2

Reaction score
On the disillusioned thread Mixers are complaining about how the game has changed for the worse and it’s all big money today etc.
But over here on the Coady thread, many Mixers are complaining about the Coady deal and how we should get every penny for Coady out of Everton.

Two different narratives.

But Wolves want to make this easy for Coady and are allowing him to leave as a classy gesture of goodwill.
Well done Wolves ……..it’s not always about the money.
Repeat that if Everton stay up at our expense. Crazy decision.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thinking about it, the World Cup thing is an easy excuse.

As the post by wolfslair says above, it doesn't really matter what Coady does or doesn't do, he isn't going to play at the World Cup. He couldn't when there were 23 players, so he has no chance when there's 26.

Equally so, the extra three players means Southgate is sure to take Coady regardless. Again, if he took him in a 23-man squad and didn't play him, with the assistant describing him as the 'player of the tournament' then he's obviously going to do it in a 26-man squad.

So, I'd say Coady was on the plane already.

From our perspective, we have our club captain and 3rd or 4th choice centre-back pushing for a move - it's not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom