Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Aston Villa vs Wolves. The Verdict.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think most fair minded fans would concede that Jota was sold to line the pockets of Mendes. Then as if that big agent fee wasn’t enough Mendes then engineered a way to cream more money by getting us to sign Silva.
Tbf, I think jota was sold because we couldn't get what we was asking for Traore. Jotas stock at Wolves had fallen and we were offered a very good amount for a player who had been on the fringes for a few months.
His contribution wasn't as it should have been and he was offered a move to the current champions, with the riches that offered. He started of very well at Liverpool and I wish him well, apart from against us.
I think Neto is a better player who would flourish in a similar team and he has very high potential.

Regarding Silva, let's give him a chance, his fee was high because he also a lot of potential, many pundits have commented on his movement etc and see he will score goals. The fact he has been played in a struggling team, that doesn't create much, in a season he was signed to learn and progress, should be taken into account.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You do know that Liverpool used him from the bench to start with and when he got full 90 mins, he was less effective? Liverpool can afford the odd gamble on players like Jota. We can't and we haven't sold too many players for the amount we got for him. It was good business for all concerned but not, as you succinctly put it, as a cynical ploy to make Mendes money. You can convince yourself otherwise. The earth is not flat.
I’m no Luddite or flat earther but more a realist. There’s evidence out there suggesting cohesion between Fosun & Mendes on 3rd party ownership of players. There’s the evidence of the events that occurred at Valencia. There are allegations if you look for them. New owner takes over at cash strapped club, owner lauded as saviour. Owner’s good friend helped facilitate the purchase of club. Friend brings in new coach and players and club do well for a season. Board members leave leaving owner, friend and coach in charge.Owner sells players friend brings in lower quality players whilst doing alleged favour for Portuguese clubs. Club suffers downturn on pitch. Sound familiar? That’s Valencia with Peter Lim,Mendes and Nuno in charge. Call me what you like but the cynic in me sees it for what it is.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The usual boring ****** first half. Come out much better 2nd half and should have won the game. Extremely annoying how we start games so passively all the time. We are so bloody boring

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do know that Liverpool used him from the bench to start with and when he got full 90 mins, he was less effective? Liverpool can afford the odd gamble on players like Jota. We can't and we haven't sold too many players for the amount we got for him. It was good business for all concerned but not, as you succinctly put it, as a cynical ploy to make Mendes money. You can convince yourself otherwise. The earth is not flat.
Why was selling Jota, a good bit of business? We've sold Jota and replaced him with a very successful goal-scorer, right? Name names please.
As for Mendes, why are you so sure the sale of Jota was not to line his pockets? He is, after all, in the business to make money, so a transfer that lines his pockets is not so outlandish, is it?

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why was selling Jota, a good bit of business? We've sold Jota and replaced him with a very successful goal-scorer, right? Name names please.
As for Mendes, why are you so sure the sale of Jota was not to line his pockets? He is, after all, in the business to make money, so a transfer that lines his pockets is not so outlandish, is it?
Sense

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After riding our luck with the two chances in the first half I think we pretty much dominated until their late chance. I thought Moutinho and Jose both played quite well. Frustrated that Netto doesn’t always drive into the box like Mayhrez for City.

That’s twice we’ve kept Villa very quiet - they’ve been a hand for many this season. We’ve done the same to Leeds.
Moutinho and Jose were poor.
Villa hit the bar twice in the first half. Had a good opening too where the player passed rather than shooting. All over us first half.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep thinking about that moment in the first half where Pedro made a brilliant burst down the line and the wide angle just shows Adama practically walking through the centre circle.
This!!
Don Goodman mentioned this too and when they played it back, it was even more apparent that Traore wasn't interested in keeping up with play.

Also his reaction to being knocked off the ball or dumped on his backside, is to sit down, arms ackimbo pleading for a free kick . Instead of getting straight back on his feet and re-engaging with the game.

And finally his habit of constantly running into opposition players, when he has absolutely no chance of making positive progress. So, so frustrating to watch.

D

Deleted member 5276

It's a by product of the transaction not the sole reason for it as was alluded to.

As for good business... 45 million for a bloke not getting in your team is good business. Getting a replacement is a different conversation as it comes down to who you get. We signed Silva... jury is out on him for a good while yet or until he moves on and we can make a judgement.

Bottom line for me is that Neto played in a similar position to Jota and that Nuno clearly thinks that Neto is the better player. Time will tell on that also. Ironically, Neto is now playing on the other flank!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Of course it's a tactic, anybody who thinks we play like we do game in game out by accident is deluded.
There is now a whole thread on it on this very forum. Reading the responses 'Coady and Nuno said in a press conference its not a tactic so i cant work it out' :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I think if Nuno said in a press conference that they should support villa instead some of them would think twice.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

From BBC website: (Conor Coady) On being better in the second half than the first: "It needs to stop - it's hard to put my finger on it. We spoke at half-time, first half giving balls away and too passive and we were sloppy and not trying to attack so we had some words and second half was better but it needs to stop. If we play like we do in the second half all game then we would get better results...."
He should join the police with detective skills like that :rolleyes:

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God the doom mongers are out. Why dont you go and support liverpool. Oh, wait they lost the last 5 at home without scoring. I thought we played ok and really pretty good second half. The score should/could have been 2-2. We have played much worse than that and whilst i dont think jose is the answer i do see silva improving. As for sacking nuno ffs you entitled ****ers

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep thinking about that moment in the first half where Pedro made a brilliant burst down the line and the wide angle just shows Adama practically walking through the centre circle.

I remember that moment and thought surely Adama should have been busting a gut to get into the box, This just shows either he cannot read a game at all or he is lazy, I think it is definately the latter he just doesnt have a football brain if he had he could be a world beater, personally it wouldnt bother me if he moved on.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing from open play. Not a thing.
This. And its been going on for some time. The first 2 seasons back in the PL we weren't struggling like this to create chances. True we weren't creating shed-loads, but at least we were opening teams up a bit. Nowadays, zilch. The big question is 'Why' ? The squad is not dissimilar, indeed theoretically should be stronger. The system is similar. So what's going wrong ? Too predictable ?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK so we wasn’t good enough for us but the League champions would take a punt on him? I’m a Wolves fan as much as anyone but I find it staggering that so many fellow fans do not see the obvious Mendes situation here at Wolves. Laurie & Thelwell gone and not replaced so it’s Nuno, Jeff and Mendes running things. A very similar thing happened at Valencia when board members went and it was just the owner, Mendes and Nuno running the show. Mendes is in charge of recruitment at Wolves make no mistake. Mendes moves his players around to benefit himself. Vithina being a prime example. When did he last play? Is he good enough for the Prem? Will we sign him in the summer? If Mendes has anything to do with it yes we probably will.
This is utter *******s. Conspiracy theory madness. Do you honestly think that fosun bought a club just to trade players to line jorge mendes’ pockets? Most opposition fans think we got lucky and mendes got us great bargains. But, oh no, wolves fans seem to think we have been saddled with idiots just to suit him. Honestly, its ****ing laughable

dennison11

Reaction score
2 things i took from tonight -

1: Willain Jose should NOT be signed on a permanent basis. Get Raul back, Silva as backup and AN Other coming in to fill the gap

2: Adama is not the player we all WANT him to be. Half ***** one minute, no **** the second. I lost count of the times i just yelled at him to run but he didn't bother. If he's off in the summer then so be it

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 things i took from tonight -

1: Willain Jose should NOT be signed on a permanent basis. Get Raul back, Silva as backup and AN Other coming in to fill the gap

2: Adama is not the player we all WANT him to be. Half ***** one minute, no **** the second. I lost count of the times i just yelled at him to run but he didn't bother. If he's off in the summer then so be it
I would personally offload him.. and send back all 3 loanees.. saving/making us around 100mill.

Would spend on a quality centre back, quality centre mid and a forward that can play wide and score goals.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Adama Traore season 2020/21. Played 27. 0 goals. 0 assists. Any other winger with that record would be no where near the first team.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a by product of the transaction not the sole reason for it as was alluded to.

As for good business... 45 million for a bloke not getting in your team is good business. Getting a replacement is a different conversation as it comes down to who you get. We signed Silva... jury is out on him for a good while yet or until he moves on and we can make a judgement.

Bottom line for me is that Neto played in a similar position to Jota and that Nuno clearly thinks that Neto is the better player. Time will tell on that also. Ironically, Neto is now playing on the other flank!
Not very convincing I'm afraid. Tell you what though, I might have waffles for brekky tomoz!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God the doom mongers are out. Why dont you go and support liverpool. Oh, wait they lost the last 5 at home without scoring. I thought we played ok and really pretty good second half. The score should/could have been 2-2. We have played much worse than that and whilst i dont think jose is the answer i do see silva improving. As for sacking nuno ffs you entitled ****ers
Cos we love Wolves and hate Liverpuddle. Next.

Reactions: DPE

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall, two average teams who look lost without their best players.

Konsa should've scored for them first half, Coady and Saiss should've scored one each second half for us. Ours were absolute sitters. If one of them goes in we're looking at a solid away performance where the home team only had two chances inside the box.

Another first half disaster class. So weird. Not much confidence in our team at all since Raul got injured. Three months on, still hoping for a bit of magic to get us something. When did we last score a 'normal' goal? Like a bit of sustained pressure that ended in a nice through ball/tap in? Always seems to be individual class or a set piece.

Rui - nothing to do until the 89th min. Good save. Trustworthy as ever.

Semedo - did OK. Sometimes looks really good then other times the ball goes under his feet and out for a throw.

Dendoncker - I just don't get it. When he plays in midfield he genuinely becomes one of our most crucial players. Constant energy, breaking up play, always bursting forward [though yes his finishing isn't great]. But he looks an absolute mess at the back. Could've cost us a couple of times tonight with indecisiveness or poor passing. He also never tries hard enough to stop the cross, almost like he feels it's OK for crosses to come in. He was a mess against Southampton which led to a goal, got the runaround against Newcastle, poor against City [own goal not his fault but overall, looked sloppy] and same again tonight. Boly must play but if he's not fit enough, stick Kilman in. Make Dendoncker the midfield option again.

Coady - seemed fine defensively, should've scored two tbh.

Saiss - poor distribution all night, missed a sitter. I know he's sort of stretching on his weaker foot but honestly, terrible miss.

Jonny - doesn't quite look back to his best, but did OK. Distribution was poor at times, misplaced quite a few simple short passes. But good to see him still having energy at the very end of the game given his very lengthy lay off and how he's been subbed in all his return games so far.

Moutinho / Neves. Both a bit meh. Neves did some nice interceptions and looked better second half.

Adama - not in the game. Doesn't help that every time he had the ball there were at least two players in front of him. At one point in the first half he got the ball outside their box on the left and four players trotted over. But he wasn't at it at all tonight. Thought he had three good games against Southampton, Leeds, Newcastle, decent against City down the middle, but tonight, pretty much anonymous. Becoming the scapegoat when everyone plays bad, mind.

Neto - did about as well as he could. Bit more composure needed at times but it'll come. Only real bright spark going forwards for us.

Jose - held the ball up well a couple of times but largely anonymous. He had two chances vs Palace on his first start, then won the penalty vs Arsenal, but has he had a chance since then? That's what, six games in a row he hasn't had a sniff at goal? Not all his fault but Fabio's missed a few sitters in his bench cameos during that time. Needs to do more.

Lack of bench options after a couple of attacking injuries is frightening, but we've been in the same boat for months. We can just be glad we aren't going down and get it over and done with.

Big summer ahead. Lot of people coming to the end of their cycle in our first-team it feels. Time for a few to move to the bench or elsewhere. We need two or three guaranteed starters, and Boly, Podence and Jimenez all fit again for us to go again with a fresh start next season.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is utter *******s. Conspiracy theory madness. Do you honestly think that fosun bought a club just to trade players to line jorge mendes’ pockets? Most opposition fans think we got lucky and mendes got us great bargains. But, oh no, wolves fans seem to think we have been saddled with idiots just to suit him. Honestly, its ****ing laughable

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This. And its been going on for some time. The first 2 seasons back in the PL we weren't struggling like this to create chances. True we weren't creating shed-loads, but at least we were opening teams up a bit. Nowadays, zilch. The big question is 'Why' ? The squad is not dissimilar, indeed theoretically should be stronger. The system is similar. So what's going wrong ? Too predictable ?
The squad is dissimilar though? Defense, wing backs and strikers, all different. Personally I think all of our problems are because we are significantly weaker.

Semedo is a downgrade on Doc. Donk in defense is worse than Bennett. Our left sided centre back is worse than Boly (who looks half the player on the right) Traore is a busted flush. Old Silva is much worse than Jiminez and young Silva is much worse than Jota.

D

Deleted member 11332

Tbf, I think jota was sold because we couldn't get what we was asking for Traore. Jotas stock at Wolves had fallen and we were offered a very good amount for a player who had been on the fringes for a few months.
His contribution wasn't as it should have been and he was offered a move to the current champions, with the riches that offered. He started of very well at Liverpool and I wish him well, apart from against us.
I think Neto is a better player who would flourish in a similar team and he has very high potential.

Regarding Silva, let's give him a chance, his fee was high because he also a lot of potential, many pundits have commented on his movement etc and see he will score goals. The fact he has been played in a struggling team, that doesn't create much, in a season he was signed to learn and progress, should be taken into account.

Bang on. Every bit of it.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half continued our recent trend of awful first halves where we have been saved by bits of luck that we weren’t getting earlier in the season. Defensively all over the place, midfield giving the ball away continuously and absolutely no cohesion in attack.

Much more intent in the second half and probably should have gone on to win it with two poor misses from Coady (great save on the second to be fair) and an almost unbelievable one from Saiss.

Patricio 6
Dendoncker 5
Coady 6
Saiss 6
Semedo 6
Neves 6
Moutinho 5
Jonny 5
Traore 5
Jose 5
Neto 7

At the end of the last two seasons, I felt we just needed small tweaks in the Summer. Following on from the last 4 months, I think we need a far bigger overhaul.

The only players who I am convinced we need to build around are:

Rui
Semedo, ???, Boly, ???
???, Neves, ???
???, Raul, Neto
I’ve reached the same conclusion. There’s a big challenge ahead for Nuno to progress this team. A good couple of proper centre halves for a start.

The second half was better today but the most annoying aspect of our game is the sloppy passing that sadly, has become an all too common part of our play

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There's no way on this earth are you gonna convince me that selling Jota was a good deal for Wolves, despite Neto breaking through. Our squad, any squad, would be better off with Jota in the ranks. Can you imagine having him as an option, fitness permitting? He wanted to leave, fair dos. Probably beneficial to the bottom line and for Mendes, but it was not a good bit of business from a playing resource pov. It has weakened us no end.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's no way on this earth are you gonna convince me that selling Jota was a good deal for Wolves, despite Neto breaking through. Our squad, any squad, would be better off with Jota in the ranks. Can you imagine having him as an option, fitness permitting? He wanted to leave, fair dos. Probably beneficial to the bottom line and for Mendes, but it was not a good bit of business from a playing resource pov. It has weakened us no end.
Exactly. Imagine if we'd kept Jota and Doc, sold Traore and bought Silva. No way would we be playing like **** all the time

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half continued our recent trend of awful first halves where we have been saved by bits of luck that we weren’t getting earlier in the season. Defensively all over the place, midfield giving the ball away continuously and absolutely no cohesion in attack.

Much more intent in the second half and probably should have gone on to win it with two poor misses from Coady (great save on the second to be fair) and an almost unbelievable one from Saiss.

Patricio 6
Dendoncker 5
Coady 6
Saiss 6
Semedo 6
Neves 6
Moutinho 5
Jonny 5
Traore 5
Jose 5
Neto 7

At the end of the last two seasons, I felt we just needed small tweaks in the Summer. Following on from the last 4 months, I think we need a far bigger overhaul.

The only players who I am convinced we need to build around are:

Rui
Semedo, ???, Boly, ???
???, Neves, ???
???, Raul, Neto
We were in agreement in comms thread and we agree again here.

First half was pitiful for so many reasons. The defence, which has been such a cohesive unit for so long, has morphed into a troupe of individuals that are as synchronised as a kids gymnastics display at a summer fete. One where half the kids didn't turn up to the single practice session beforehand.

Dendoncker made one decent pass but was repeatedly caught out or rolled by Watkins and Trezeguet, who he made look like David Trezeguet at times, and made some incredibly basic errors that simply shouldn't be happening at this level. Coady was as wasteful in their box as he was useless in ours, and Saïss seemed to be playing spot the ball. At one point we had nine players in our own penalty area and still one of the two villa players got in first and hit the bar, and this set the tone for the first half.

The midfield were by and large poor throughout but especially in the first half. There are hopeful punts - and we did plenty of them during the first half - and there is wasteful distribution under no pressure. And inexplicably we also managed plenty of the latter. Inexplicably in the sense that these players are capable of far better, not that it's uncharacteristic this season - even Jonny was very poor at both ends of the park, and his disappointment at half time was evident as he booted the ball at the advertising boards.

He wasn't the only one. They were all dire bar a frustrated, isolated Neto.

Second half was obviously far better - it couldn't be much worse - but it was actually watchable to the point of us making a game of it. But rather than making up for the first half, it poses the question - what exactly is causing the malaise?

Many of the potential factors - the players and Nuno missing their families, empty stadia, covid, injuries...these are variables that affect all teams in one way or another. So what exactly is tipping the scales at Wolves? Is it the change in style being implemented too abruptly? Is it the loss of Jonny, Boly and Raul? Is it Moutinho's twilight emerging a little quicker than we all would have hoped? Who knows. I certainly don't, and wouldn't like to speculate further, but there is something that is at least one catalyst nudging Wolves into a slow painful regression with little sign of the balance being redressed without major reinforcements, and possibly, as painful as it is to contemplate it, a change in dynamics on the training ground.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes makes deals that he will profit from. But he must always be making deals. His primary objective is to make money for himself. It may be of benefit to Wolves but that's not his primary concern. I'm not falling for the man with the tan. Not until I see space being made in the trophy cabinet at Molineux for a new arrival. Until then, the jury's out on Mendes and Fosun.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m really not sure Semedo makes the cut unfortunately. Occasionally exciting when he gets the ball, but far too often bullied off it, misses a challenge or quite frankly fails to complete an easy pass to a teammate.

Frustrating.
Yes ... I’m in the same camp. Very concerned about his strength doing the basic bread and butter of defending. He has definitely improved in recent weeks with his overall play but does he flatter to deceive in the final third when attacking too?

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. Imagine if we'd kept Jota and Doc, sold Traore and bought Silva. No way would we be playing like **** all the time
Doc I don't miss. Happy with Semedo. Needs polishing up a bit but there's a player there.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two average teams dishing up an average game of football that finished 0-0.

Wolves better players were Neto, Semedo and Saiss with Donk, Moutinho, Jonny and Traore being our poorest.

Nothing more to say really.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes makes deals that he will profit from. But he must always be making deals. His primary objective is to make money for himself. It may be of benefit to Wolves but that's not his primary concern. I'm not falling for the man with the tan. Not until I see space being made in the trophy cabinet at Molineux for a new arrival. Until then, the jury's out on Mendes and Fosun.
I mean - the jury isn't really out on Fosun. They came in, spent loads of money and established us as a premier league club. They have delivered massively. The jury have voted and they think that's success.

As for Mendes, he cares about one tanned man only. His deals have been of great benefit to Wolves, but that's very much a byproduct of his aims - not, in itself, a goal itself.

We're going to continue seeing what happens from being in bed with the world's biggest agent.

Obviously, I like that this is the best Wolves team in my lifetime, but I strongly dislike that the man who effectively calls the shots has no need/desire to do what's by best Wolves.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc I don't miss. Happy with Semedo. Needs polishing up a bit but there's a player there.
Two things struck me about Semedo today.

1) he hit a few absolutely aimless balls forward.
2) his man was completely free on multiple occasions in the first half.

He's a very good footballer but i still struggle to see how he plays defence.

Back
Top Bottom